Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Test Cases and Test Plans

• 1.  Test Cases and Test Plans

Posted 05-27-2020 09:37
    Hi,

I am investigating usage of the test management center in Jama - we already use Jama for requirements management. My question is in regards to identifying a trigger when a user (test engineer) should start creating test cases and test plans. Do requirements need to be in a certain state to commence test case and test plan creation? How would the author of a Jama item (use case, feature spec etc.) know when test coverage should be defined? I would like to learn from other peoples experience on this topic if possible.

Thanks,
    Farah.

------------------------------
    Farah Malik
    AMD

• 2.  RE: Test Cases and Test Plans

Posted 05-28-2020 00:26
    Hi Farah,

AFAIK my colleagues from Test Management use smart-filters to identify the Requirements for which they have to write Test Cases.

Formally seen, the Requirements have to be reviewed (we use the Jama review functionality). Successfully reviewed Requirements will be moved to "approved" (Workflow set up for field Status) and locked (system  blue lock). -> just filter for Requirements that have a certain status (alt least not rejected).

Moreover, I have added a field called "volatility" to the Requirements Item types. The default value is "volatile". Other possible values are "stable" and "fixed". Here the Requirements Engineer can set the volatility for requirements that have reached a certain quality (let's say to "stable"), but are still waiting for a review. -> just filter for not volatile requirements.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG

• 3.  RE: Test Cases and Test Plans

Posted 05-29-2020 06:39
    Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your response and guidance.

Regards,
    Farah.

Farah Malik
    AMD

• 4.  RE: Test Cases and Test Plans

Posted 06-01-2020 12:04
    We have an approval process for the FRS, and once the FRS is approved, QA can start writing test cases. We use the custom filters to find requirements that are missing things, so have a filter called FRS Missing Test Cases. The QA can easily see what ones do not have test cases.

Cynthia Weber
    Business Systems Analyst Lead
    ProQuest LLC
    Ann Arbor, MI

• 5.  RE: Test Cases and Test Plans

Posted 06-01-2020 15:26
    Cynthia:

Check your profile, I have awarded you the Collaborator badge, given in recognition of your helpfulness to other Community members!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR