Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

• 1.  Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-13-2018 05:34
    Hello,

I noticed that we can related items (like change request, defect, requirement ...) directly to test plan and/or test run.
    This feature is interesting because it opens the way to trace test execution and test related item. For example, we can create test artifacts (test jig,  instrument...) to link them to the test run where it were used.

However as in the related item panel there is no tab to test plan, I used the search function to create relation.
    So my first question: is that feature is a relevant use case of Jama connect ?
    Second question: can the Jama team add a test plan tab to simplify the creation of such relation ?

Thank you
    Best regards.

------------------------------
    Fabrice

• 2.  RE: Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-14-2018 12:14
    Fabrice:

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked up this link in our Feature Requests: Adaptable Relationship Tab. It would seem that others in the Community would agree with your assessment here.

Feel free to add your use case to this thread as a comment. This will help our Community Manager and Product team gather use cases to better identify hot topics that need attention. It is best to outline the specific problem your organization is encountering because when we consider feature requests, we prioritize solving problems over superficial updates. If the request doesn't already exist, use the "Post a Message" link and create a new post in the Feature Request Discussion area.

Our Feature Request Process. 

We will not respond individually to these feature requests with status updates or comments, however, you should expect to see a community post from our Product team after each planning session. We will work to keep you updated on what you should expect to see in Jama and how your feedback shapes the roadmap.

Kind Regards,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-15-2018 00:16
    Hello Chloe, Fabrice,

Thank you Fabrice for putting this on the table. I just got related request from one of our term and I would like to know what is Jama's ideation behind the relationship functionality and allowing to link the items across the "whole" Jama.

I got a request to provide a report showing requirements coverage for the test plan and I'm not sure how to approach it from Jama tool perspective. Also I'm not sure if this even makes sense to approach coverage through the relationship between requirements and test plan(s).

• There is "implicit" relationship created when test cases are put to the test plan and test runs are created within the test cycle. The relation to the requirements is nested there but is not presented explicitly. Nevertheless test cases can be removed from the test plan without affecting already created test cycle / test runs.

• When the relationship between requirements and test plan is created explicitly (user manually creates the relationship) then this is redundant stuff but can be easily checked. On the other side user can miss to add this relationship manually.

So for the request that I got I propose to compare what are relationships from requirements to test cases with test cases / test runs involved in the test plan / test cycle. Otherwise I do not know how to properly approach it.
    What is Jama's recommendation for this?

Thank you for any idea

Vlada

• 4.  RE: Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-15-2018 11:16
    Hi Vladimir:

Thank you for your questions. Upon reading your endeavor, I was wondering if this new upgrade to the Test Center in Jama 8.25, could assist you in reaching your goals? Here is a visual from the Release Notes.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-15-2018 23:43
    Hello Chloe,

I thing that the new feature does not solve the issue. It improves current functionality/traceability but does not provide information about traceability within the test plan.

More over there is one weird thing that will bring inconsistency to getting the traceability.When I create a relationship from requirements to test cases and put test cases to the test plan and generate test cycles this is one path. When I create a relationship from requirements to the test plan this is the second path. Nevertheless these two paths can be incompatible as I create the relationship manually. So there should not be a possibility to link requirements to test plans because the relationship is created at the background based on test cases/test runs included in the test plan/test cycle. Or am I overlooking anything?

Vlada

• 6.  RE: Item(s) relation to test plan and test run

Posted 08-16-2018 00:22
    Hello Chloe,

I understood that the relationship between items and test run is not a problem in JAMA.
    I will explain my use case, it concerns traceability between the instruments, equipments or consumables and the test that were perform with them.

For example: we have to calibrate  measurement instruments on a regular basis. During  a calibration we ask for 'As found' data (state of the instrument before calibration), if we found them out of specification we have to list and review all test runs that was performed using this instrument.

Actually, we list them in a table at the beginning of a test report and do the task manually.

My idea is to create a generic project populated with 'Test artifact' (representing measurement instruments) that may be related to the test run where they were used. So we can maintain easily the traceability between these items and find them when needed.

Link from a test run to another item can be created easily is the related item(s) tab in the right panel and navigate within explorer tree to select item(s). However traceability for an item to a test run must be performed using search tab and you can only do it one by one.

My request would be to have a test plan tab on the right panel to navigate and select multiple test run to relate the item. So create relation between items and test run will be as simple as other items.

Thank you,
    Best regards.

Fabrice