Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Interfaces

• 1.  Interfaces

Posted 12-03-2019 15:34
    ​​Has anyone used Jama to manage interfaces in a system.  In our company systems engineering is responsible for integration which includes interface control.  Typically we use specialty tools to manage the interfaces, but if anyone has used Jama for interface control I'd like to hear about it.

------------------------------
    Art Stone
    Boeing
    714-580-9042

• 2.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-04-2019 14:19
    Art,

Hmm interesting, I have never had anyone ask this in the Community before. I can't say that I know exactly what "interface control" is, I am thinking this is the schematic or some sort of system plan? If so, my first thought is to try to use upstream and downstream "traceablity" to divide up system components. If there are horizontal systems I would divide those into a different project possibly. Depends on the system...

Very curious, I hope more people chime in! Art, what were your initial thoughts?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 08:21

Hi Chloe,

I come from a model based systems engineering (MBSE) background.  MBSE tools provide capabilities to model the logical/physical and functional architectures in addition to the requirements.  Interface information can be captured in that environment.  Jama is basically a DB with a user front end dedicated to managing requirements.  Given it is a DB I considered creating item types that represent logical elements of electrical and data interfaces.  In a true DB I would be able to assemble various joins and produce reports that would be the ICD tables.  While Jama is built on a DB it doesn't provide the mechanisms needed to manage the data like a DB.  I don't think Jama out of the box enables me to manage interface information.  If you think it can let me know.

Thanks, Art

• 4.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 09:35
    The most common method I have seen interfaces get managed in Jama is through the use of a custom item type to represent an Interface and then tracing those interface items either to the architecture elements or requirements.

Cary LastName
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 09:40

Hi Cary,

How do you represent "architecture elements" in Jama?  First time I have come across that. 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 09:58
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 12-09-2019 10:13
    I do it like this:

Cary LastName
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 10:12

Hi Cary,

Ok, thanks.  Any chance you can attach a larger image.  It is about the size of a postage stamp and when expanded it becomes blurry.

Art

• 8.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 10:15
    Art:

I just adjusted the settings a bit, I think you can see Cary's diagram much better now!

Thanks Cary!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 9.  RE: Interfaces

Posted 12-09-2019 10:52
    ​Ok, I have to think about it for a bit.

Art Stone
    Boeing
    714-580-9042