Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

• 1.  Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

Posted 05-15-2017 11:30
    When I add a link to a Jama item, I specify the URL and a description. I expected to see the description display which is much more user-friendly than the URL. Is there a way to always see the link description when viewing an item, instead of having to click on the Edit button to see the description? Thanks!

------------------------------
    vm

TaxResources, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

Posted 05-15-2017 12:14

Hi vm,
    If you're talking about the Links functionality in the Jama item (as opposed to adding a link in the rich text editor), there is not a way to change it. The field/widget (it used to be a tab widget but now more closely resembles a field) is designed to display the URL first and description afterwards, so if the URL is too long, the description won't be visible.

In case anyone else is reading this, here's what vm and I are discussing; in this case, the URL is short enough that the description is also visible.

link widget screenshot

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

Posted 05-16-2017 01:11
    Hi Kristina,

we have another request from our users regarding links. The amount of links, that one can add to one item is limited to 20.
    In some projects this amount is not enough for our users.
    The second related problem is that there is no notification showing up, when the user tries to add the 21th link. Therefore it looks to the user, that the action was successful, whereas it is not so.

Best regards,

Ekaterina

• 4.  RE: Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

Posted 05-16-2017 07:37
    What if the description text was the link? Similar to how you insert a hyperlink on some text in outlook or word, could this work similarly and just embed the HTML tags for this in the field so when it's displayed the description text IS the link?

Brian Hair
    ETC

• 5.  RE: Adding Links to Jama Items Does Not Show Description

Posted 05-16-2017 11:49
    Ekaterina and Brian,

I totally hear you on this front; there is more than one improvement that could be made to the Links functionality. However, since this conversation is in the Support forum it won't be seen by our Product team, so I recommend someone make a feature request to cover the needed improvements.

Kristina King
    Jama Software