Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Full relationship diagram of one item

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Full relationship diagram of one item

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi,

Is it currently possible to display a full relationship diagram of the relations of an item? The scenario is the following:
    • select an item
    • click on "Relationship diagram view" or similar
    • Jama displays a full-blown diagram of all upstream/downstream relationships
    • the diagram would default to full view, but could be configurable (ex. limit to 2-level upstream and 3-level downstream for instance)
    The diagram displayed would be similar in concept to this one:

The options I think are possible currently are:
    • coverage explorer
      • the drawback is that you have to manually configure a view for every single item you want to focus on, which is extremely cumbersome
      • if you could select any item and get by default the full coverage, that would already be better, but I don't think it's currently possible
    • trace view
      • the drawback is that you can't see more than two levels at once, and it's not practical at all to get the full picture in one single shot
    • relationships view on the item, either table view or visual layout view
      • the drawback is that you can't see more than 1-level distance from the current item, so again, no use to get the full picture

I really think some display like the diagram above would be a supermassive extremely powerful addition to Jama Connect. For us at least, it would be invaluable.

Curious to see if that's currently possible (but hidden) or if there are plans to incorporate it in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jivan

• 2.  RE: Full relationship diagram of one item

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi Jivan -
    Have you tried "Impact Analysis"?
    To get to it, open a single item for viewing. In the top right will be a set of menus - choose "View":

and then "Impact Analysis":

In the "Impact Analysis" window make sure both "Downstream" and "Upstream" are checked and then select "Run":

I believe this should show you all the items, regardless of item type or relationship type, that are related to the "Source" item.

Hope this helps!

------------------------------
    Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 3.  RE: Full relationship diagram of one item
    Best Answer

Posted 20 days ago
    @Theresa and @Jivan:

Theresa, yes this is a great solution! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with Jivan.

Jivan, as a visual person, I do enjoy your flowchart better but, here is an example of how this is laid out using the Impact Analysis feature:

It's a tool which is very configurable to potentially pull all the downstream and upstream relationships by various degrees of separation. Another tool at your disposal!

Let us know what you think,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 4.  RE: Full relationship diagram of one item

Posted 19 days ago
    @Jivan and @Chloe - I also prefer your flowchart, Jivan, especially because it displays the relationships between the items that are farther removed from the original (source) item. Of course you can always use Trace View for that, but it is nice to see all the related items on the screen at the same time.​​

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 5.  RE: Full relationship diagram of one item

Posted 19 days ago
    Thanks @Chloe, this view is really interesting and, apart from the visual aspect (which is different but also fine nevertheless), exactly what I was looking for.​