Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Reuse Releationships in Variants

• 1.  Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-11-2019 09:26
    Edited by Olaf Pluemecke 04-11-2019 09:29
    I've explored several ways to achieve the following, sadly unsuccessful so far.
    At my company we have branched a variant out of a source component with reuse and sync. We have two components now: Source and Variant.
    Our Variant team has started working on Requirements within the Variant component. At the same time our Testing Team has started working in Source component where they have created Test Cases. Our Testers related those Test Cases to Requirements in the Source component. Our Testers now want to sync their Test Cases from Source to Variant component. However, it is important to them to be able to "mirror" the relationships -they want to have Test Cases related to corresponding Variant Requirements only, not to Source Requirements.
    When syncing Source Test Cases to Variant component, is there a way to create relationships from those Test Cases to Variant Requirements that share a Global ID with Requirements located in Source Component?

In other words, we want to sync a Test Case from Source component to Variant component and have Jama draw a relationship between each Test Case and the corresponding Variant item. I thought maybe it is possible to somehow make Jama execute the following steps (or do something differnet that creates our desired outcome):

For each Test Case
    Check if Test Case has related Requirements within Source component.
    If yes, get Global ID of related Items else go to next Test Case.
    Look in sync target (in this case Variant component) if there are Requirements with the same Global ID.
    Relate Test Case to those Requirements in Variant component.
    Display a million dollar success animation.
    Let robotic arm offer a napkin to dry tears of joy.

Any ideas how you can do this?

P.S. I created an image for better understanding. Unfortunately it seems that the website don't let me upload it.

------------------------------
    Olaf Pluemecke
    KROHNE

• 2.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-11-2019 13:27
    Edited by Theresa Soares 04-11-2019 13:29
    Hi Olaf -
    My team just did that same thing. My solution was to use the "Import Relationship" plugin to create the relationships in the Variant.

1. In the Source - Export the GID of the requirements and the GID of the tests to CSV.
    2. Edit the exported CSV file as necessary to match the format required by Jama (see Jama guide)
    3. Follow other steps in the Jama guide, like creating the Relationship plugin.
    4. Import the CSV file to Variant.

If you haven't imported relationships before you might want to practice in a sample/sandbox/non-production project.

@Harald, @Chloe - Did I miss anything? :)

Good luck!

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 3.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-11-2019 14:11
    sounds complicated but feasible.

In case the test cases are created at the source, it should be possible to sync them to the branch with the relationships without further ado.

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 4.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-12-2019 10:41
    Olaf:

Do you recall which Reuse and Sync options were used to create the Variant component? How many Variant requirement items are we talking about here? If you are needing the direct relationship to the reused variant requirements, then making those relationships is your best bet as per @Theresa​. I like the process you outlined for finding the requirement evil twins and auto-relating them! It's just not a direct feature we can boast at the moment.

Sidenote, I am wondering if the Traceview would help with some visibility here?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-15-2019 06:22
    Edited by Olaf Pluemecke 04-15-2019 06:24
    Awesome, those are all really good inputs, thank you! :)

@Chloe
    Regarding Reuse & Sync options we used the option "Do not include relationships outside of the source selection".
    We are talking about ~900-1000 Requirements per variant and multiple variants to come in the future. That is why we are looking for a half automated approach, becasue manually this would be vulnurable to human errors.
    Thanks for confirming that using Import Relationship plugin is our best shot.
    Trace view might be helpful to some degree should our worst case scenario come true, where a poor colleague has to create the relationships manually. Despite that trace view provides a nice overview.

@Harald
    The test cases are created at the source (for now) and yes, it is possible to sync and branch them with releationships, however we always ended up with relationships to source requirements.

@Theresa
    Thank you so much for sharing your solution! Much appreciated!
    I am looking forward to try this out within the next couple of days. I think it will take some time until I figure out how to set everything up and test it so I can hit the go live switch with confidence (and some confetti in my pocket).

If only Jama could provide a basline feature that more works like a time machine, a vm ware snapshot or a save game... then I could try out and if things start to burn -truly- roll back as if nothing ever happend.

Will let you know about the outcome.

Cheers!​​

Olaf Pluemecke
    KROHNE

• 6.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-15-2019 06:23
    Edited by Olaf Pluemecke 04-15-2019 06:24
    I douple posted and deleted the duplicate

• 7.  RE: Reuse Releationships in Variants

Posted 04-16-2019 12:23
    I must admit I didn't know that relationships could be synchronized when I responded to this post (I'm researching that now). Harald's suggestions sounds much better if it works for you.

While researching I found this community post that illustrates a potential disadvantage to synchronizing relationships.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States