Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Deployment of Jama using podman vs. Docker

• 1.  Deployment of Jama using podman vs. Docker

Posted 01-28-2020 15:26
    Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post into the support channel.
    We are looking to deploy Jama as an on-prem instance. We typically use RHEL as our primary OS; however, we can use CentOS as well. I did find some news that RedHat is looking to drop support for the docker runtime engine and in its place use Podman.
    https://linux.slashdot.org/story/20/01/18/0236253/why-did-red-hat-drop-its-support-for-dockers-runtime-engine
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article/a-matter-of-license-and-lock-in/

I wanted to know if anyone has used Podman to deploy Jama as an on-prem setup?

Thanks
    Kevin

------------------------------
    Kevin ONeill
    Self
    Boise ID

• 2.  RE: Deployment of Jama using podman vs. Docker

Posted 01-28-2020 17:02
    Edited by Godiva Hunt 01-28-2020 17:06
    Hi Kevin

Unfortunately Jama can't run in Podman, it's only built for Docker. I can tell you though that Docker will still work in RHEL even if support gets dropped by RedHat.

Let me add some information for you and any other Community member watching this thread:

If you're looking to start a Self Hosted trial instance, your Account Owner can provide any consultation you need regarding set up and can speed up the install process by reaching out to the appropriate parties on your behalf. You're still more than welcome to post here, though. I just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted anymore information on setting up a Self Hosted instance. To read up on the process of deploying/upgrading a Self Hosted instance, you can review this page: Jama 8.x Deployment Resources

If you're switching to a self hosted instance from cloud, this is not something support can help with. 
    Customer must reach out to their account managers to ensure Jama can assist with Self-Hosted Installation and migration of data from Cloud to Self-hosted. Customer also must wait until the estimated window of time (twice yearly) when Cloud and Self-Hosted version align.  We can only perform the Cloud to self-hosted migration during this version alignment timeframe. To prepare for such migration, you can look in the User Guide under Jama Connect User Guide > Administration > System administrator > Installation

I hope this covered all the bases. Was there anything else I can clarify for you? If anyone else has any input on this process or needs anymore information we'd love to hear from you.

Thank you

Godiva Hunt