Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Pick list values based on set of items

• 1.  Pick list values based on set of items

Posted 09-01-2021 00:42
    Hi support,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a dynamic multi-select pick list values based on the items that are in a set of items.
    I need the set of items to do the relationships, as relating to a field not possible. However, I also need the item as a field (pick list) in another item to be able to export to word (using the field handler).
    Example:
    The Rehab Goals set of item should be the input for the pick list (second picture). So adding a new item to the Rehab Goals set, the pick list should get updated and a new value in the pick list should be generated.
     Is that possible or is there a workaround?

Thank you,
    Markus

------------------------------
    Markus

• 2.  RE: Pick list values based on set of items

Posted 09-01-2021 17:08
    Hi Markus,

Thanks for reaching out! Picklists values need to be created in your Admin settings. There isn't a way to have a multi-select, dynamically populated list of values that would update/sync to items in a project.  Additionally, picklists were not built for volume (100s of entries or more) or frequent updates.

Though it has its own limitations here, perhaps you could try using a custom Item of Type field.

From our User Guide section Custom Fields, "
    Item of type - use this to create a new pick list field that is populated by a list of existing items in the current project that are of the specified item type. Users can reference items of another type in this manner. Only one item can be selected in an item of type pick list."

Alternatively, could you relate entire items (not just fields?) If so, traceability/creating relationships may help your use case.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Pick list values based on set of items

Posted 09-02-2021 00:48
    Hi Decoteau,

I'm aware of the 'Item of type' field but the limitation for us is, that it can't be multi-select.

When exporting to Word, I am looking for a method to export a specific field from a related item. I didn't find a solution to that, so that's why I created tons of pick lists :)

Let's say I export item A, who is related to item B.
    Item B contains the field "Additional info" (text box).
    I want the content of the text box "Additional info" from item B to be included in the item A export.
    Is that possible?

Thank you,
    Markus

Markus

• 4.  RE: Pick list values based on set of items

Posted 09-02-2021 17:46
    Hi Markus,

I don't believe it's possible for a plain export to display the results in the exact way you're looking for.

However, it seems likely that a custom Velocity report could pull these results for you. If you're interested in that route, you can reach out to your Account Manager to discuss having a custom report created for you by our Professional Services team.

Alternatively, if you want the value in the same area of the item, and don't have an issue with displaying other related items, you could try creating a custom Office Template that includes that info from either upstream or relationships. Though this wouldn't trade out the field from Item B to Item A as you illustrated above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR