Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Sync Items from Template Includes all other projects in new projects

• 1.  Sync Items from Template Includes all other projects in new projects

Posted 08-17-2020 10:35
    Hello,
    We have a template project that we use to create new projects. We have already created several new projects from the template by selecting "Duplicate" as well as using the reuse option for pre-existing project created before we defined the template.

The thing that I am curious about is why when I 'View Synced Items' on a folder of a new project created using the resue option from out template project does it include all the projects synced with our template project?   I was expecting it would just show the template project? This makes it really confusing when looking at the synced item. What are the ramifications of breaking the sync with all the other projects except for the template project?

synced items

------------------------------
    Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 2.  RE: Sync Items from Template Includes all other projects in new projects

Posted 10-26-2020 09:27
    Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delay on this-we had a change in community management and missed some of our questions. Simply put, the "why" is that the whenever you reuse and sync, the items are given identical Global IDs. From that perspective, the template project is the same as every other project that was created from it.

To answer your other questions, breaking the sync means that the Global IDs will no longer match and all the other items will be assigned unique Global IDs (until you reconnect them with Sync at another point). The true ramification of that is you'll no longer be able to see the differences in fields because they won't be in or out of sync, they'll just be their own lonely projects. If you have no intention of every syncing the original template's changes to the projects created from it, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Kristina King Manager, Technical Support
    Jama Software