Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Word Export: Table of Item Type PLUS upstream

• 1.  Word Export: Table of Item Type PLUS upstream

Posted 02-20-2017 13:50
    Ok I've tried to hit this at least two different ways and am afraid I am at the end of what I can do with the office template unless there's something I don't get about the Word template.

I want to make a table of item types and in one of the cells have a list of parent requirements.

Here's what I think I know:
    • For an item type, it seems you can just do TemplateStart/End and not TableStart/End of the item type.  
    • You CAN do this indirectly via FLD:CHILDREN:<ItemType>  But, if you do it that way, you cannot use UPSTREAMRELATIONSHIPS while you are in the 'child' context.

• If you use templatestart/end, you can get everything BUT each row is it's own table (separated by newline) vs one table.  Plus, you can't really do a header row at that point unless you wanted it repeated every time

------------------------------
    Thomas

• 2.  RE: Word Export: Table of Item Type PLUS upstream

Posted 02-21-2017 15:38
      |   view attached

Hi Thomas,
    Attached is a template that will provide your requirements in a table, with a column corresponding to each requirement for upstream relationships. Is that what you're ultimately trying to achieve?

You can move (or add) the requirements' fields into different cells–this is just something I had shared with another customer.

Let me know how this works and we can go from there. There are definitely basic limitations to the Word Templates, so it is possible you've hit that limit.

Kristina

Kristina King
    Jama Software

Attachment(s)

doc
    relationship_table.doc   46K 1 version

• 3.  RE: Word Export: Table of Item Type PLUS upstream

Posted 02-21-2017 17:25
    Close, this generated equivalent to one of my examples.  If it's possible to get rid of the newline between every "row" it would be what I want.

Thomas

• 4.  RE: Word Export: Table of Item Type PLUS upstream

Posted 02-23-2017 11:05
    Hi Thomas,

Okay, I understand what you mean. I tried many things as well and sought the advice of some colleagues and came up empty-handed. I think the problem is that upstream requirements are their own table, as they are not technically a field on an item type, but metadata. And you can't get the table to nest within the Child table. 

This means we've hit a wall/the limit to the mail merge capabilities within Jama. It might be worth it to you to try experimenting with Velocity, as we have a basic Upstream Traceability report available.

Kristina King
    Jama Software