Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Item Type Errors

• 1.  Item Type Errors

Posted 05-17-2019 12:21
    ​Good Morning,

I had a few questions about item types and fields.
    1. One of our projects accidentally entered their requirements using another projects item types (Project 1 Item Types) instead of their own (Project 2 Item Types).  Is there a way they can transfer their requirements from the other projects item types(Project 1 Item Types) to theirs (Project 2 Item Types) or do they need to re-enter the requirements into Jama under their projects item types (Project 2 Item Types)?
    2. We are also have two projects that were originally using the same item types which was ok, but as time has gone on the customization needed to the fields for the projects has made it where they can no longer utilize the same item types  So we are now needing to split the item type into two.  Is this possible? If I create a new item type for one of the projects can I just transfer the requirements to it or do I need to re-enter them?
    3. I have been cleaning up the Item types and fields and noticed some errors in spelling.  Is it possible to edit the names of the field names to correct the spelling errors and make the names more uniform? Same question with the item types.
    Our project is comprised of about 5 modules which each have their own project in Jama.  So we are trying to make the Jama project have a more uniform look and have adopted some rules but in order to implement these rules we need to make the changes above but are looking to make these changes without having to re-enter all the requirements already in Jama.  Any tips or assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Jackie Henley

• 2.  RE: Item Type Errors

Posted 05-20-2019 13:32
    Jackie:

Love that you are fine tuning your process!

For questions #1 and #2:  You should be able to just convert the item type. Note all of the "keep in minds" when using this technique. But, it would seem that these are all "Requirement" types, you just want to convert to a project specific version of the same type?  ​​

For #3, depending on what you are editing, for instance: are you editing what is in the Fields? If so, there is batch editing in the list view. You could make an Advanced Filter to capture the items you need to batch edit and then go down the list.

But, I think you are talking about updating the spelling errors of the actual field names in the item-type. If that is the case, you will need to do that in the Admin panel, one by one.

Jackie, I hope this helps - I'm here if you have any further questions.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Item Type Errors

Posted 05-23-2019 09:26
    Some tips:

before convert a set you can make excel export backups. sometime they can be useful as basis for Jama Roundtrips.

and
    You can duplicate your set first with the reuse functionality and then convert. If all is tested and as expected you can delete the original.

Currently go the other way, we try to use the same item type for all projects. We try to move project specific / product specific configurations out of the admin area.

Good luck Jackie

René W.

• 4.  RE: Item Type Errors

Posted 05-23-2019 13:34
    @René

These are very good insider tips, thank you for sharing them here with ​@Jackie and me!

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR