Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Export to Excel (Custom Method)

• 1.  Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-06-2017 15:31
    Hello, We would like to export to Excel in a similar way that we export to Word.  Is the recommended method to create a filter then Export? I would like to have a same work flow for both Word and Excel export.  Please advise.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN

• 2.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-07-2017 08:42
    Hi Andrew,

I think that's the easiest way to way to export content you want; Word Templates allow you to choose particular fields and item types for export, but Excel is strictly WYSIWYG from List View. So I think preconfiguring a filter to maintain a standard export is a great idea. Do you have any concerns or questions with this?

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-08-2017 06:54
    Hi Kristina,

I'm still struggling to define a work flow with our desired outputs.  Here are the areas that I'm missing:

1) How to create a view of the item type that all users will have access to.  The filter approach seems to only allow my to filter what items are displayed not what columns are shown.  Am I missing something here?  How can I have all users configure the WYSISYG view to be the same?

2)  This item type will have downstream relationships. We want to list these items in the export in a similar way to the linked view.  So if one item has two downstream links they should output in the item row. I tied outputting the CSV file from the linked view but it would not display all the fields in the item type.

Thanks for any suggestions, pointers, or references to this topic.

Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN

• 4.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-09-2017 11:15
    Hi Andrew,

For #1, you won't be able to save a view for all users according to the results of the filter, but you (I assume you're an admin) can configure what columns you want displayed to users for each particular item type, as well as a general "mixed item types" view. That said, once users start moving around columns on their own, you cannot "reset" their view back to the admin-dictated one; it only stays that way until the user chooses to play around, in which case their view will persist. See the user guide.

For #2, you might be veering into advanced report territory. You can export downstream relationships to word, as that is an available mail merge code, but you cannot do that to Excel (only via Trace View, as you noticed).
    I don't remember what version of Jama you're using, but the newest version (hosted) and next version (on-premises) will allow you to select which fields you want exported from Trace View; I know in 8.10.x it did not have that feature.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-09-2017 11:46
    Thanks again for the solid response.  For #1 that is good enough for now.  For #2 we are using the hosted version so I expect we have the current version and see that we can configure and display some fields as columns but not all fields are shown in the selection dialog.  Could this be a bug?

We have a 60 minute meeting with Erin from Jama on Friday and would like to nail this down before 10 AM central time.

Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN

• 6.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-09-2017 15:59
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, that would be a bug if not all fields are configurable. I just checked in my hosted instance and the only time I could see custom fields being inaccessible for selection is if there were no upstream or downstream item in that column; otherwise, all available fields should be displayed. Can you let me know more about the downstream column that isn't showing custom fields as selectable for display: how many items (and item types) appear downstream as well as a screenshot of the available fields.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-10-2017 06:46
      |   view attached
    I've attached an image that shows what columns are available in the source section of the link view.  Note that "Foreseeable Sequence of Events" is  not shown as an option to select.  In order for this export method to work we need to be able to select any field in the item type for display in the Source view on the link view.  

Let us know if this is a bug or two to proceed.

Thank you.

Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN

• 8.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-10-2017 09:08
    Hey Andrew,
    Erin let me know that it appears everything is okay—that the issue at hand was actually someone renaming the label on the field, not that some fields were randomly missing.

If that's not the case, let me know. Otherwise I'll consider this case closed.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: Export to Excel (Custom Method)

Posted 03-10-2017 10:51
    Yes. Let's close this - user error.  The field name is different between what is shown on the item and what is shown on the column selection display dialog.  I'm sure others have run into this as well.  Perhaps the field name should be the same as the column selection display dialog?

Thank you

Andrew Brown
    Galil Medical
    Arden Hills MN