Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Fix hidden behaviour of Excel Export

• 1.  Fix hidden behaviour of Excel Export

Posted 03-12-2020 23:55
    Edited by Vladimir LastName 03-13-2020 00:02
    Hello Jama,
    This requests follows
    https://community.jamasoftware.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=7&MessageKey=c58edf4a-2c4a-417d-8a84-91d9487a5deb
    And
    https://support.jamasoftware.com/hc/en-us/requests/51773

I do not agree that this is expected behavior. It probably was expected behavior but through the time it was forgotten - it took nearly 3 weeks to find that this is "expected behavior" when Jama triggered full cloud instance reindex.

This is valid when Test Case are displayed and exported using default Excel template.
    When Test Steps are included in the list view there is displayed the number of steps and test steps are not visible.
    When this list view is exported to the Excel there is a separated row for each test step (the column is called test action) - it means that instead of one row there is so many rows as test steps in the test case.

Please uncover this hidden behavior via one of these possibilities or their combination:
    - Export list view as it is visible (without any additional columns added at the background)
    - Split test steps column into two columns "number of test tests" and "test steps" (not "test action" how it is called now) and allow to switch them on separately (two check boxes)
    - Add a check box to "Export test steps" to explicitly allow the export of the test steps.

Thank you Jama for making users' life easier

------------------------------
    Vlada

• 2.  RE: Fix hidden behaviour of Excel Export

Posted 03-14-2020 16:17
    Hi Vlada:

This functionality is outlined in the user guide under: Export Test Cases. This process outlines how to deselect and/or select the Test Steps in the List View config toggler. It does specify that if you do have Test Steps toggled then each step, per Test Case, will take up a row in the Excel export.

There is a lot of functionality in Jama, so many ways it can be configured and manipulated to suit so many different business workflows and processes, yes? Sometimes, a small one like this gets away from us when we are attempting to diagnose and help customers troubleshoot. Sometimes it looks like something else at first... Vlada, we do our best and are always happy to help you!

I agree that this documentation could be easier and more obvious to find. I can see how you would conclude that this must not be expected behavior but, I know many customers who export these Test Steps regularly. I will put this on my list to try to troubleshoot this documentation, with the appropriate subject expert!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Fix hidden behaviour of Excel Export

Posted 03-15-2020 23:35
    Edited by Vladimir LastName 03-15-2020 23:36
    Hello Chloe,
    Thank you for your exhausting answer.

The problem started because I had not exported test cases only but all item types where all attributes are mixed together. The basic principle that I miss here is what I see is what I get. The export for ten thousands of items is difficult itself (it takes quite long time) when you count with the fact that export is going to XLS not to XLSX it causes (with steps included) that the export is not complete and correct from the perspective what you needed to get.

What I pointed to and why I still spend time with this is to have Jama user friendly - easy to understand, easy to set, and get consistent, relevant and same data as I see in the list view on the first try.

Thank you for all your help and interest to understand our obstacles with Jama usage

Vlada

• 4.  RE: Fix hidden behaviour of Excel Export

Posted 03-16-2020 07:04
    Vlada:

I agree that from the perspective you were looking at this functionality was not obvious. The link I sent you was on how to export Test Cases, and would not have been obvious to look here considering how you were exporting a filter of mixed-items. Totally get it!

We are happy that you spend time with us and our goals are very much aligned with yours. Vlada, I have a meeting with our Documentation person to discuss how we can bring this functionality to the light, make it more obvious, and just easier to understand from any perspective in general. I really appreciate our talks, they are informative and help us to get better! I hope you continue to do so, I also notice that you help new Jama users in the Community as well!

I see that you contributed a Product Idea for the XLS, I will make sure that gets tagged appropriately.

Thank you Vlada,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR