Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Question about Test Case Status field

• 1.  Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-24-2021 05:03
    Hi,
    According to the user guide, if the test Case is used in only on test plan, the Test Case Status is the last reported status of test run on the test case.

My question is: is the last reported status based on the Execution Date or Modified Date of the associated test runs?

I have an example here:
    A test case is used in only one test plan, there are 2 test runs (TSTRN-1 und TSTRN-5)  associated with this test case (like in the screenshot).
    TSTRN-1  was executed on 10/12/2020 with Status Failed.
    TSTRN-5 was executed on 24/08/2021 with Status Passed.
    Is that correct here, that the Test Case Status of the associated test case should be Passed?

Thanks much in advanced for clarifying.

------------------------------
    Lien Bäcker
    Gira, Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 2.  RE: Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-24-2021 11:07
    Hello Lien, thank you for reaching out. I partnered with our product team to confirm it's going to be the last modified.

Somewhat related - we have fixed a defect around the configuration to include scheduled or not on test case status that will go out in 8.66. I hope this helps!

[Amanda] [Jennewein] She/Her]
    [Manager, Customer Support]
    [Jama Software]
    [Portland] [OR]

• 3.  RE: Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-25-2021 00:22
    Hi Amanda,

thanks for the confirmation as well as the Bug fixed information.

We have a situation with the fact the Modified Date of the test runs being used for calculating the Test Case Status.

We have a test plan which have 2 test cycles.
    One was executed in 2020 (associating with the release 1 ) and the second one was executed in 2021 (associating with release 2 & Bug fixed).

For the auditing, both test cycles shall be maintained. With the current stand of the project, the Test Case Status of the Test Cases shall be the test result of the Test Cycle executed in 2021 (associating with release 2 & bug fixed).

The Test Cycle executed in 2020 must be recovered by Restore function since it was by accident deleted.
    With the Restore function, all the test runs of the restored test cycle receive a new Modified Date.  So the test result of the restored test cycle is now the last modified. As the consequence, the Test Case Status was changed undesirably back to the test result of the execution in 2020 with the stand of release 1.

What would be the steps for user to rectify the situation here, to get the Test Case Status the correct values - the test result of the Test Cycle executed in 2021 (associating with release 2 & bug fixed) ?

In the sample case in screenshot: after the Restore function on Cycle 1 (Execution Date 2020), the Test Case Status of PPS-1 is now the test result of TSTRN-1 being executed in 2020. How many steps must be done to get the Test Case Status again back to the value of TSTRN-5 being executed in 2021?

Would it make much more sense the calculation of the Test Case Status based on the last executed result using the Execution Date not using the Modified Date?
    Is that correct, Status of a test run could only be changed by function "Execute Test run". By each "Execute Test Run ", the Execution Date would by also accordingly updated?

Lien Bäcker

• 4.  RE: Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-25-2021 10:21
    Hello Lien,

That certainly sounds problematic for you and your team. With this needing a higher level of technical expertise, I would strongly encourage you to submit a Support ticket for this issue, as it may require more attention and follow through from our Support Engineers.

[Jama Software]
    [Portland] [OR]

• 5.  RE: Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-30-2021 05:28
    Hello Amanda,

I will submit it as a feature request in the product idea for the improvement from Test management.
    Test Case Status shall be calculated based on "Executed Date" not on "Modified Date"

Lien Bäcker

• 6.  RE: Question about Test Case Status field

Posted 08-30-2021 15:04
    Excellent idea, Lien!

I know you and your team, as well as other Jama users will greatly benefit from your submission!

[Jama Software]
    [Portland] [OR]