Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Supported Linux distros

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Supported Linux distros

Posted 04-10-2017 11:21
    I know the manual says that these are supported:

amzn, centos, debian, fedora, rhel, ubuntu

Oracle Enterprise Linux is basically rebranded rhel. In fact, OEL can use the same repose and when doing a cat /etc/*-release you also get Red Hat.

Would Jama work on Oracle Enterprise Linux then?

------------------------------
    James Krych
    GRSi
    SC

• 2.  RE: Supported Linux distros
    Best Answer

Posted 04-11-2017 13:48
    Hi James,

Great question. We derive our supported Linux environments from what Docker supports. Recently Docker updated their offering to include a Community Edition and Enterprise Edition. We will continue to use what is now the Community Edition, and it does not support Oracle Linux. Will it work? Probably, for those reasons you mention. However, it is not a supported environment for Docker CE, so it would go untested. This all considered, I would not install Jama on an Oracle Linux environment. It may work but we will be unable to offer full support.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Supported Linux distros

Posted 04-11-2017 15:53

That's an illuminating response, Kristina.  I logged in to research a different topic entirely but this one caught my eye!

Do you mean to be specific about this rule of thumb applying just to Linux environments?  Looks like Docker CE runs in Windows 10 and cloud environments now - can I infer that Jama supports implementations based on those platforms?  That as long as Docker CE is running, the platform is fully supported?

I ask because my organization is a Windows shop with no plans to support Linux and we're looking into our options. Docker's expansion to additional platform is promising for us.

Andrew Gilbert

• 4.  RE: Supported Linux distros

Posted 04-11-2017 17:16
    Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, yes, this rule here is that we're speaking of Linux environments only. We are not at a point where we would consider Windows server compatible with Jama. Docker only very recently started supporting Windows, and we don't have any plans to add more testing environments to our regressions. This is not me saying "never," but I don't see it happening in the near-term, if at all. I am sorry for getting your hopes up!

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Supported Linux distros

Posted 04-12-2017 04:20
    Thanks so much!

I am guessing Red Hat then.

Thanks again!

James

James Krych