Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot Create Test Plans

• 1.  Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 03-31-2017 09:19
    Hello,

I am running into an interesting problem. I have (2) users with the exact same permissions, same user group, same access to the same project, same license type = Creator, but one can create a test plan and the other one cannot (e.g. doesn't have the add test plan button). Why is that?

Regards,
    Kendrick

------------------------------
    Ken G
    ASR

• 2.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 03-31-2017 11:44
    Creating test plans requires Write permissions to every single item in the project, so there is likely a messed up permission somewhere for this user. I would double-check the permissions of that project for that user. When looking through the user's permissions, ensure that there is no inheritance set to false and that there are no "read only" overrides hiding in a folder. If all permissions to this project are "true", we'll probably need to do a screenshare to see what could be going on. (But I can't think of anything that would cause this besides some permissions weirdness.)

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 04-02-2017 22:22
    I checked and double checked.
    He has the same rights and privileges as everyone else in his user group.
    The users within his group is able to create test plans.
    I will keep trouble-shooting this problem.

Thanks...
    Regards,
    Ken

Ken G
    ASR

• 4.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 04-04-2017 11:40
    Okay. There are no known specific issues that I can ascribe this behavior to, but I have seen permissions issues be the source of similar weirdness (and you can't tell from the GUI that a problem exists). One thing to try is removing this user from every group and removing any of their individual overrides, then re-adding them to the pertinent groups.

If that, or your own troubleshooting, doesn't work, submitting a support ticket so a screenshare can be scheduled would be the next step.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 05-05-2017 10:08
    Thanks Kristina for your response...
    When you say >>Creating test plans requires Write permissions to every single item in the project<<, what exactly do you mean?

Let me clarify, for the user to create / modify test plans, the user gains writes to read and access to all items in the Project. They can add and delete folders, set of items, and components within the Project.
    Giant Question: How can we prevent them from adding new folders, set of items, and components and still able to create test plans? 

Regards,
    Kendrick

Ken G
    ASR

• 6.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 05-05-2017 13:40
    Hi Ken,

I mean that the user must have Write access to every corner-every item-of the project. Prior to Jama 2014.2, users needed to have Manage Project permissions to create Test Plans. Since 2014.2, Write permissions to the whole project are needed. As to your Giant Question...there will be no way to prevent them from adding containers (the only option, in Admin, is to prevent users who aren't admins from deleting containers and items).

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 05-05-2017 14:30
    Kristina,

Thanks for the quick response. Our test engineers need to write their test cases and test plans BUT they should not be able to add items to the overall project, ONLY the project manager / admin should be able to do that.
    So no work around to this permission based issue?

Regards,
    Kendrick

Ken G
    ASR

• 8.  RE: Cannot Create Test Plans

Posted 05-05-2017 14:56
    Ken, that is correct. The permissions are designed as such that creation of a test plan requires Write access to the entire project. There is not a way around this.

Kristina King
    Jama Software