Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Questions and requests about searching the community

• 1.  Questions and requests about searching the community

Posted 03-07-2018 11:44
    Hi,

I have been using the community to try to find answers to my questions. I am finding searching it somewhat challenging, both because of the lack of instructions and behavior that I cannot explain.

1. How to search in the community
      1. I could not find instructions on how to create advanced or complex searches. For example, if I would like to search for the phrase "main column" is this what I would put in the search field, or would I have to use single quotes, or is this not possible?
      2. By trial and error I found that I could use the keyword and.
      3. Please consider creating a link to some simple instructions on how to create advanced searches, what syntax is supported, etc.
    2. Weird results when I search for "main column"
      1. When I tried searching for "main column" (including the quotes) I got five results.
      2. One of the results was: "Topic: Synchronization doesn't handle deleted items", here is link: https://community.jamasoftware.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=7&MID=187&CommunityKey=4eac21f6-24d1-4f1e-92bd-76860b52af2c&tab=digestviewer
      3. I'm not sure why this result came up. The word 'main' was not there and the word 'column' was. The word 'column"' (i.e. column with a closing quote) was not there. Searching for "main column" (no quotes) yielded 350 results, so that isn't what was happening.
      4. Once again, perhaps some instructions would be helpful.
    3. Please expand the capabilities of search to be able to look for phrases in addition to the Boolean operators
    Thank you.

------------------------------
    Daniel

• 2.  RE: Questions and requests about searching the community

Posted 03-14-2018 15:46
    Hello Daniel,

Indeed, we currently do not have any instructions regarding how to create advanced or complex searches. Our community is powered by Higher Logic, hence we are unable to expand the capabilities of the search feature to be able to look for phrases in addition to the Boolean operators.

In order to obtain your desired results, it is imperative that you utilize certain key words. It is possible to search for a full sentence, but we ask that you do not place any quotes around the sentence.

I like the idea of creating a link to some simple instructions (short article) on how to create advanced searches, what syntax is supported. I will relay the message to our community manager.

Thank you for the feedback. 

Getro Naissance
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Questions and requests about searching the community

Posted 03-14-2018 16:02
    Hi Daniel,

It turn out we already have a "Search Tips" Section in the User-guide. Higher Logic uses Lucene syntax (which is what our elastic search syntax is based off of). Hence, since the community uses the same syntax, please consult the link below to learn more about searching tips. The only difference is you would not have the ability to search fields, since that isn't a concept in the community platform

Search tips

Getro Naissance
    Jama Software

• 4.  RE: Questions and requests about searching the community

Posted 06-19-2018 14:22
    Edited by Theresa 06-19-2018 14:24
    Hi Getro and all -
    FYI, the "Search tips" link Getro posted takes me to the root of the User Guide. I found a page of Search tips here.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 5.  RE: Questions and requests about searching the community

Posted 06-19-2018 15:07
    Theresa:

Nice catch, with the new release of the New User Guide this past May, a lot of these past links have broken! Thank you for your contribution.

Chloe Elliott
    Business Support Engineer