Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

• 1.  Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 24 days ago
    We have a project that's used as a library. It contains a number of sets of an item type, many of which have child items.

A new item type has been created, which is intended to be used moving forward for new project. The business would like to update this library to use this new item type.

I'm seeing a few issues:
    • change the item type in the library will break all the synchronization links downstream. Since this is a library, most of these items have been re-used. The business may be ok with this however, the decision is ongoing...
    • If I do a "convert to" on the item set, it wants to convert the set itself to a folder, rather than a set of the new item type.

This seems like it will make for a tedious conversion. I'll need to first create new sets of the new item types to avoid them being converted to folders. Then I have to take the parent item of each tree in the set, and choose the new set as the destination of the conversion. With 30+ sets, each having a half-dozen or more item trees with folders and text items mixed in, this is tedious and just begging to convert a set into the wrong destination set.

Since the ultimate goal here is to treat the current as a legacy, and start doing things differently moving forward, I'm thinking it might make more sense to duplicate this project. Leaving it as-is with the current item types preserves all the existing re-use relations, and allows legacy work to continue without impact.

The only semi-practical method I can think of to duplicate the project though, is using a modified round-trip export/import. Export the current project data, modify the csv data to change item types, fields etc, and then import into an empty project.

Am I missing an easier solution? This doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

------------------------------
    Mark Montminy

• 2.  RE: Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 24 days ago
    Mark:

Yes, I would also recommend the conclusion you came to. You can duplicate a project, look at this page in the User Guide: Duplicate a Project.

You will need to be an Organization Administrator to perform the task.

And if needed you can Archive the old project: Archive a Project.

Hope this helps,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 24 days ago
    Well, duplicating the project via the normal methods won't really help me much. I'll have another project with all the old item types. I need a new project with all the same folders/items, but each item type of X is now item type Y, with all else remaining the same.

If it was a straightforward as duplicating the project, I'd have been done weeks ago, that's trivial :)

Mark Montminy

• 4.  RE: Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 23 days ago
    Edited by Chloe Elliott 23 days ago
    Hi Mark:

Yes, converting a requirements library to a different item type is a bit of a project. I like the idea of duplicating the project to give you time to configure the new project before launching it out for business use (less stressful). Also, it can serve as a good model to refer back to when you are recreating the same relationships.

Could you explain your business case behind not wanting to utilize "convert to"? I know it won't let you convert anything but a set of text items into a set. It wants to make a folder but, a folder is essentially the same thing as a set, it just allows mixed items. But, you don't have to mix the items in the folder if you don't want to.

Looking forward to hearing back,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 16 days ago
    I did end up leveraging "Convert to", but not as I'd hoped.

I had to create new "Set of" sets at the top of the tree, because I was unable to convert an existing set of items, to a new type. In doing so, I needed a place to put the new set, which was being turned into a folder. You can't place a folder in a Component, nor at the top of the tree. So converting a top-level set of items would leave me in a situation with no available destinations.

So I re-created each set of the old item type as a duplicate named new set. Then I was able to select all the items in the old set and convert to the new type, selecting the new set as the destination. Then I removed the old, now empty set.

With about 30 top level sets, it was a bit tedious, but manageable.

Mark Montminy

• 6.  RE: Converting sets of items to a new type recursively

Posted 15 days ago
    Mark:

I was playing with this in my test instance, I am assuming you then moved the items from the "folder" to the new item set you placed at the top of the tree? And then deleted the empty folder?

Thank you for answering back with your workflow, very useful to hear how our customers maneuver within the platform.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR