Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Newlines in Test Case Step Row

• 1.  Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-05-2017 08:17
    Hi everyone,

We have a very long and complex factory acceptance test imported into Jama, that we are planning on running very soon. Everything has went fine except for one issue.

Our Test Cases often have complicated expected results, that take up more than a single line, often being spread over a bulleted list (example attached).

Ideally, for readability reasons, we would like this list to actually appear as a list in the table cell, with a new line before any bullet point. Pressing enter just dismisses the edit box and saves the changes, and other obvious stuff like Shift + Return does too. We have tried manually pasting the text in, but it loses it's formatting.

Is there anyway of doing this, or should this go in feature requests?

------------------------------
    Jon

• 2.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-05-2017 10:52
    Jon, can you tell me how the bullet points were added to the test step? (Were the test cases, with steps, imported from a spreadsheet?) The current iteration of the rich text editor* allows these items to appear as you desire, provided you use the bullet point feature. *via the newer inline (pencil icon) edit, not the old Edit button at the top right of the item.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-06-2017 00:27
    Hi Kristina,

We imported everything from a Word document, and then did a manual pass to ensure all the data was correct.

Even if I click on the pencil icon to the left of the table I don't get a rich text control strip when I edit the data in the cell:

I can take new lines in the cell:

But when I view the test case, the formatting is lost:

Are we possibly on an older version that doesn't feature rich text in this table?

Jon Reid

• 4.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-06-2017 01:57
    We have figured it out. Rich Text was not checked in the item options! I've had someone with a administrative licence turn it on for me.

Thanks for the help!

Jon Reid

• 5.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-06-2017 11:11
    Oh, wow, that was an easy fix. Thanks for letting me know!

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 07:59
    Kristina,

While we are on the topic of rich text and bullets in a test case...
    I have mixed results using the rich text and Numbered List in the 'Action' Column.
    We have a list of fields that we need the tester to observe in the 'Action' Column, sometimes the Numbered List is missing the numbers, so it becomes just a list of fields vs. a numbered list.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Edit an action cell for a test case, creating a numbered list of fields.
    2. Save & Done
    3. Select the pencil icon next to the 'Steps:'
    4. Numbers in front of the fields disappear.

Side Note: While in edit mode, the 'Cancel' button on the lower left-hand corner doesn't work.

Regards,
    Ken G

• 7.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 08:21
    We have seen this behaviour as well, sometimes with bullet points as well. We have found that the numbers/bullets are still there, they are just not rendering in the particular tab. If you Save + Done then refresh the page, the bullets will be there.

Jon Reid

• 8.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 09:29
    Hi Ken!
    Yeah, Jon is right-the list bullets/numbers don't always render in edit mode, but they should be visible in reading mode. As far as the Cancel button not working goes, could you add a screenshot showing that? Also, what version are you on? I was not able to reproduce this in my hosted instance.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 10:50
      |   view attached
    v8.15.1 Hosted, build date 2017/04/26
    See screenshot.
    1. Edit test case, Jama enters edit mode.
    2. Edit a test step.
    3. Press Cancel Button -> nothing happens. Expected result = Jama exits edit mode without saving.

Ken G

• 10.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 15:59
    @Ken, this Cancel issue continues to evade me. I have tried to reproduce it on Firefox, Chrome (both Mac) and IE11 (windows 8.1), with all manners of zoom level.
    • What browser and what OS are you running into this problem on? Is browser zoom being used?
    • Is it happening to more than one user?
    • Does it happen to you on another browser?
    • One thing to check...does this throw an error in the browser console? (If using Chrome, View > Developer > Javascript Console...looking for any red errors; yellow warnings should be fine.)

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 11.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-07-2017 18:32
    • What browser and what OS are you running into this problem on? windows 10 pro 64 bit, chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). Is browser zoom being used? tried 90%, 100%, 110%, 125%, 150%, 175%.
    • Is it happening to more than one user? Yes, but not consistently. Meaning sometimes it works, other times no.
    • Does it happen to you on another browser? Yes, also happens on Firefox 53.0.3 (32-bit).
    • One thing to check...does this throw an error in the browser console? (If using Chrome, View > Developer > Javascript Console...looking for any red errors; yellow warnings should be fine.) I was unable to locate the View option.

Kristina, Try adding a numbered list in a test step. save and close it. Then edit another test step with another numbered list... but this time 'Cancel', instead of saving.

Ken G

• 12.  RE: Newlines in Test Case Step Row

Posted 06-08-2017 10:25
    Ken, that did it! Thank you. I am going to add this scenario to the existing bug SOS-DEF-1737. Thanks for the clear steps to repro.

Kristina King
    Jama Software