Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

• 1.  Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 09-03-2021 04:24

Description:

with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews", overridden Workflow configured at the project level can not be saved, when the user only has the Project Administration right.

Preconditions:

Workflow for Approval review is configured, as every one can change status to approved with finalize a review

User has only Project Administration right.

Steps to reproduce:

User, as a Project Manager for a single project, navigates to the Admin> his project.

Unser Project admin> Workflow, he chooses to override the workflow from an item.  

Permission Error was shown and "new Status" was empty 

User click Ok. He can edit the Transition.

Try to save. 

It can not be save since the new Status is empty.

At the project level, the option "Workflow for Approval Review" is read only.

Found in: 

Question: Is there a way, the user with Project Administration for a project could just like in 8.49.0 manage the Workflow in his project?
    It is not practicable, the permission Process Administration for the whole organisation to a user, who just needs to manage the workflow of one particular project.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Lien Bäcker
    Gira, Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG

• 2.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 09-03-2021 18:54

Hi Lien,

Thanks for reaching out! For some reason, your images did not come through on my end. 

Can you confirm that you've selected the option to allow Project Admins to override workflows on a project? As shown below.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 09-05-2021 23:20
      |   view attached
    Hi Decoteau,

Yes, the option to allow project Admins to override workflows is selected.
    I have put all the images into the attached word file.

Lien Bäcker

• 4.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Lien,

I'm following up on this thread. Thank you for sharing those additional images.

It looks like the issue is specific to a Review workflow. In order to alter Review workflow rules, you need to be an Org Admin (as described here.)

With that being said, we will reach out to our Product team to discuss your use case and will be in touch if we can think of a workaround or further recommendations.

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 27 days ago
    Edited by Lien 27 days ago

Hi Decoteau,

just want to make sure we are on the same page.

The Workflow for Approval Reviews can only be configured with Organisation admin. That is not the issue I want to mention here.

The issue is the Project Administration could not override the Workflow Transition for sein project, if the organization Admin activates the "Workflow for approval reviews" for the item type.

It was also not our intention to enable Project Administration to alter the Review workflow rules.

From the screenshot I have shared, the behavior looks more like a bug,

The Project Administration chooses to override a workflow for sein project, the configured "Workflow for approval reviews" was incorrectly shown, the value of a obligated field was empty, even though it was a read-only field.

Please help us to review this bug

Lien

• 6.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 26 days ago

Hi Lien,

Thank you for the additional context. I've tested this and found much of the same behavior.

In my testing, having Workflow for Approval Reviews enabled in my Admin settings made it so that, as a Project Admin, I saw that "no permissions" pop-up when trying to override a Project Workflow. However, after clicking "OK", I was still able to override the workflow settings with no problems.

Please note, I found this current defect:

SOS-DEF-5470 -
    Permissions: Workflow - Project admins get "you don't have permission..." message when overriding workflow. The workaround stated for this is to "Click OK and configure as needed"

I see a note that this has been slated to be fixed in the 8.66 Release.

The additional note you wrote here, "The Project Administration chooses to override a workflow for sein project, the configured "Workflow for approval reviews" was incorrectly shown, the value of a obligated field was empty, even though it was a read-only field." Seems to be separate from this issue and may need a closer look. 

Can you show us if that read-only field looks different in the Admin > Workflows view? Also, can you share a screenshot of how that item is built in Admin > Item Types > (Item Type) > Fields?

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 7.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 26 days ago

Hi Decoteau,

The Workaround does not work in my case. Once the Project Admin clicks "Ok", he can alter the transition but he can not save. Once clicking Save, prompt Jama Error "Invalid Form" (as per the first screenshot)

To compare, you find the screenshot of "Admin > Workflows" for the same item type

As per request, I'm sending also the screenshot from Admin > Item Types > (Item Type) > Fields

Lien Bäcker

• 8.  RE: Jama 8.62.2 - with activated "Workflow for Approval reviews" - issue by overriding Workflow at the Project level

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Decoteau 24 days ago

Hi Lien,

Thank you for this update and your patience. I've been working with one of our Engineers on this issue and we've determined that the next best step is to open a Support ticket and potentially a screen share. 

I am proactively opening a ticket for you now and we will reach out with the next steps. 

-----------

UPDATE: It appears that you are also working on this issue with Carmen in Support. I will note this thread in that ticket for reference. Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR