Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Can't use a Test Case twice in a Test Plan

• 1.  Can't use a Test Case twice in a Test Plan

Posted 06-08-2017 16:44
    When developing a Test Plan, I'm running into a problem at the stage that I'm adding Test Cases to the Plan.

It appears that it is impossible to add a given Test Case to a Test Plan more than once. (I get an error message when I try to do so.)

My guess is that this is probably a feature rather than a bug but, at least from my perspective, it's not a helpful feature.

I'll explain my use case ...
    I want to run a sequence of Tests in a particular, prescribed order. So, I drag the relevant Test Cases into a Test Group and put them into the correct order within that Group - so far, so good. BUT, the prescription for the sequence of Tests calls for "Test A" to be performed first (essentially to establish a baseline), then to perform a drop test (call that "Test B"), then perform a vibration test ("Test C"), then to re-run "Test A," then to move on to Test D, etc.

So in a single Test Cycle, the sequence of Test Cases I want to run is A, B, C, A, D

Given that I can't add the same Test Case twice at the "building Test Groups stage, I don't see any way that I can construct the sequence that I want in a single Test Cycle. Is there some way that I can over-ride or work around this (apparent) restriction?

------------------------------
    Ian Webb
    Enphase Energy, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Can't use a Test Case twice in a Test Plan

Posted 06-09-2017 12:08
    Hi @Ian,
    You are correct that you are seeking the impossible, and yes, this is working as designed. The Test Case Status is calculated not only by the priority of the Run status (e.g. Failed will override Passed) and when the Run was created (newer overrides old) but also if the Case is in an active or archived Test Plan, and which Plan is more recent. So this calculation isn't created to consider the same case multiple times in the same plan, hence, you receive an error.

This is most commonly resolved via Reuse and Sync-creating a second copy of Test Case A via Reuse. (You should be able to Sync them, apart from the Test Case Status field, if needed.)

I can't remember if you attended the Ask Jama about Test Center, but it (and the Reuse session) might help you, or others in this sort of situation, better define processes like this that aren't intuitively part of Jama.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Can't use a Test Case twice in a Test Plan

Posted 06-11-2017 14:01
    Thanks Kristina,

I'd thought that the "re-use & synch" technique would be the most likely way to achieve the end I'm pursuing - nice to have that confirmed.

Ian Webb
    Enphase Energy, Inc.