Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Project context change when choosing a related item that belongs to the other project

• 1.  Project context change when choosing a related item that belongs to the other project

Posted 02-06-2017 04:19
    Hi everyone,

we have migrated to Jama 8.10.2 recently and continue to investigate new features and adjust our processes accordingly. One more new behavior we are observing:  when clicking on the related item from the "Relationships" side bar of the item the project context switches to the one of the related item. To make it clearer I have "Project A" and a "Test Case A" in this project. This test case is related to the "Test Case B" from the "Project B".
    So the Use Case is the following:
    • The user works in Project A has several tabs open, including Test Case A;
    • Goes to the Related items of the Test Case A and clicks on the Test Case B;
    New behavior in Jama 8:  project context changes to the Project B. All tabs where the user worked before get closed.

I assume this behavior has been changed intentionally and it is not a bug. If it is the case, is there any background why this has been changed? Was the old behavior when the project context stayed the same in the use case above has been reported as a bug?

Thanks for any inputs on this.

Best Regards,

------------------------------
    Ekaterina Kessner

• 2.  RE: Project context change when choosing a related item that belongs to the other project

Posted 02-06-2017 16:16
    Hi Ekaterina,

Much like the previous use case you asked about that dealt with tabs, this is also new designed behavior intended to improve user experience and aid performance. We started introducing these changes in the hosted environment almost two years ago—here's an article about it from the initial release. The primary reason for the change was to aid how Jama handles URL routing—static links are now available for any item and filtered view in Jama, and the back browser button works as expected. I understand how it's quite a change, though, and I think the best workaround is to right-click the related item ID and select Preview instead of opening it completely.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Project context change when choosing a related item that belongs to the other project

Posted 02-07-2017 00:24
    Hi Kristina,

thanks for the additional info about the context of these changes, it helps. The preview option was also what we recommended to use for the purpose, and it was accepted as a convenient workaround.

Best regards,
    Ekaterina

Ekaterina Kessner
    MeVis Medical Solutions AG