Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Office 365 with IMAP

• 1.  Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Office 365 with IMAP

Posted 06-13-2017 18:36
    Edited by Dana Medhaug 06-27-2017 18:44

We are piloting Jama Software at my company, so I'm fairly new to the application.  I am able to get IMAP working with Jama Software when using a simple account, user_A@company.com.  I need to be able to use a feature of IMAP that allows access to shared mailboxes.  The syntax for this type of access should be user_A@company.com/<user_B's shared mailbox alias>.  Every time I press the Test IMAP button, I get an "AUTHENTICATE failed" error.  This error doesn't appear if I use just the user_A@company.com.  My IT department insists that the mailbox alias is correct and that the syntax should work, so I came here to see if anyone has successfully connected Jama Software in this manner?  I have proven User_A has access to User_B's mailbox through Office 365, by adding User_B's mailbox to User_A's additional folders.   I notice that the Jama Software IMAP configuration requires a "Inbox" and "Error" folder.  Could this be interfering with the IMAP's shared folder syntax?  Note: I was able to get this syntax to workusing POP3 in JIRA.

------------------------------
    Trevor Hodge
    OR

• 2.  RE: Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Office 365 with IMAP

Posted 06-14-2017 14:03
    Hi Trevor,
    This isn't something we outright support, as Gustavo mentioned in the ticket (and apparently no one else on the community has wondered about this).

I checked in with some other folks here and the only suggestion they have is to try setting the User and account to the value that you log into Outlook with, but then set the IMAP folder to something starting with the shared mailbox name. 

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Office 365 with IMAP

Posted 06-20-2017 13:37
    Edited by Dana Medhaug 06-27-2017 18:45
    ​I did some experimentation and discovered the shared mailbox syntax works fine in Outlook, but not in Jama Software or JIRA.  In JIRA, I have a work around by using POP3 with the same shared mailbox syntax, but Jama Software only supports IMAP.  I noticed that Jama Software requires an Inbox and an Error folder in the account's mailbox.  I'm wondering if Jama Software is already appending something to the IMAP username to explicitly access these folders.

Trevor Hodge
    Tektronix, Inc.
    OR

• 4.  RE: Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Office 365 with IMAP

Posted 06-22-2017 16:57
    Edited by Kristina King 06-22-2017 17:49
    Hi Trevor,
    I talked to another dev about this, and he brought up  that IMAP is used for scraping reply emails, and SMTP is used for sending notifications. To try to find a workaround, he's curious: What do they need the shared folder for? (Is it to notify a group of people something?)