Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Product Requirement versioning

• 1.  Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-28-2018 01:46

We currently use the JAMA release management.
    The product requirement item has the field "release" of type "Release", to keep track of each release requirements.

so our project will have:

Project
      PR1 (release_field = 1.0)

PR2 (release_field = 1.0)

PR3 (release_field = 1.0)

if changes should be made on the existed PR (e.g. PR1) for the next release and other new features (e.g. PR4) are requested.

we simply add the new features and assigning the new release, and modify the existed ones and update the release field.

Project
      PR1' (release_field = 2.0)
      PR2 (release_field = 1.0)
      PR3 (release_field = 1.0)
      PR4 (release_field = 2.0)

Is this a good way to use the release management in JAMA?

------------------------------
    Sawsan Abusharkh

• 2.  RE: Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-29-2018 13:02
    Yes, but I would not change requirements, I would delete and create new ones for new (changed) abilities.

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG

• 3.  RE: Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-29-2018 15:12
    Hi Sawsan,

I agree with Harald. I would not change requirements, I would delete and create new ones for new (changed) abilities.

Getro Naissance
    Jama Software

• 4.  RE: Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-30-2018 07:41
    @Harald @Getro the need to modify an existed one without recreation is to keep the unique ID of the Requirement, and have a history of the changes made on this PR in our quality system.
    So if a change request is made, the ID of the PR where the modifications is requested should be kept the same in the next releases.

after each release, a baseline is created for all PRs. Then for the following releases, modifications are made directly to the items.​​

Sawsan Abusharkh

• 5.  RE: Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-31-2018 05:00
    We are having the same conversations in our team. Whether to create a new PR when it changes or update the existing one. We, too, are interested in preserving the history.

In our case, we use the duplicate and sync functionality (instead of the release_field) to support the next product release . The main reason we went this way is the constraint that a particular PR can only exist in one release at a time and we need to support concurrent development (we are simultaneously developing multiple versions of our product and many requirements are shared by both projects).

We have also struggled a bit with the need to maintain the same ID as we reference these from outside of JAMA. This becomes a challenge as the ID prefix changes from project to project. We are dealing with this by referencing these items minus the prefix (instead of referencing CR2_REQ_971 we simply refer to it as REQ_971).

At the risk of borrowing this thread conversation, I'd be interested to know if there are better ways we can handle this.

Bob Hunt

• 6.  RE: Product Requirement versioning

Posted 05-31-2018 15:35
    Hey Bob,

That's a great question.  At this point, utilizing that Global ID feature and configuring your explorer tree to display the Global ID may be a decent workaround as that will basically let you see the parity in the navigation tree across Projects when you reuse/sync those items, but that's really the best option that I can think of here.

Let me know if that helps and hopefully it can be helpful as well as the current workaround that you're using.

Nick S
    Jama Software