Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

• 1.  Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-20-2017 22:22
    Edited by Dana Medhaug 06-27-2017 13:59
      |   view attached
    The test engineers log in with their Creator licenses to create test plans, test cases, test groups and assign the test groups / test cases to the testers.
    Then, the testers log into Jama Software with their collaborator licenses to execute / run the tests.After they completed the test tun, they record their results in the actual results, but then they need to attach screenshots, test results spreadsheets and other objective evidence to the test run per the test case's instructions. Jama Software does not allow them to attach screenshots, test results spreadsheets or any other objective evidence (as a file) to the test run per the test case's instructions, therefore failing the test case.
    We need a major bug fix and/or work around to complete our format test cases ASAP.

------------------------------
    Best Regards,
    Ken G

• 2.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-21-2017 13:38
    Edited by Dana Medhaug 06-27-2017 14:00

Hi Ken,

At this point it is just not possible to enable attachments in Test Runs for those with a Collaborator license. Using the attachments widget requires a Creator license with project Edit permissions (because attachments are visible project-wide regardless of permissions), and this is by design. I checked in with our Product team to see if we might be considering a change to this, because your feedback is so true-many testers are required to do more than write info and embed screenshots.

However, there is a workaround when you use the Rich Text Editor in the Actual Results field. If you select the Link button, you will be presented the following screen, where you can choose to link to a URL, an existing item in Jama Software, or an existing attachment in Jama Software-but you can also choose to attach a new item.

This isn't perfect (because it is not obvious), but it should at least allow your testers to attach needed documents and move on with testing. 

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-22-2017 08:07
    Kristina,

Thanks for the alternative path... however, the testers are unable to link / attach *.xlsx files.

Thanks,
    Ken G

• 4.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-22-2017 14:59
    That's interesting. I did not run into that problem when testing this workaround. What happens when they try to attach an .xlsx vs when they try to attach another filtetype?

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-23-2017 07:16
    Edited by Ken G 06-23-2017 07:16
    Kristina,

I apologize but that statement was inaccurate... The xlsx file was attached / uploaded to the test run, but when trying to open the attachment by clicking on it, it downloads the file vs. opening it.

Side question, how do you delete a file from the list after it is uploaded?

Duplicate files uploaded, how to delete?

Thanks,
    Ken G

• 6.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-23-2017 10:54
    Hi Ken,

Yeah, the file "linked" in the rich text editor is going to open or be saved depending on how the browser handles those files-I think for all Office types, it will download.

So that side question is a good one. A user with Manage Project permissions can manage (including delete) anything attached to the RTE via Project > Configure Project > Attachments. Users with Create permissions can search or filter for the attachment as you would any normal Item, and delete it accordingly. (So if you see a need for users w/o Manage Project permissions to manage attachments, I'd create a filter that returns just attachment item types so they can quickly be accessed.) There will be no way for a Collaborator to delete the attachments, though, because that's something that requires Create permissions.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-25-2017 23:51
    Kristina,

Thanks for the clarification, what type of filter did you create?

Regards,
    Ken G

• 8.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-26-2017 14:21

Hi Ken,

I can share a filter that will return attachment search results, but I am currently trying to determine what permissions are actually needed for a user to delete attachments via this view & single item view. It seemed possible based on the attachments being seen as an item type, but given boundaries around attachment management, I'm not sure what's actually possible-so I will get back to you tomorrow on that.

Since you can't search for just attachments via the Item Types selector in filters, I'd use the Unique ID for attachments (so you could limit this filter on a project-basis by limiting scope to a particular project and its keys, or you could do "All Projects" scope and add additional conditions, substituting the correct project key prior to the item type key).

For example, here is a filter that will return all attachments in my Coverage Plus project:

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 9.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-26-2017 23:29
    Kristina,

thanks for the filter.

Regards,
    Ken G

• 10.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-26-2017 23:32
    Kristina,

What if the attachment doesn't have an ID?

Attachments List, ID?

Regards,
    Ken G

• 11.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-27-2017 09:01
    Hey Ken,

All attachments will have IDs, since they are stored as a quasi-item type. The screen you're on just doesn't display the IDs (and I'm not sure why). But if you search for [project key]-ATT-*, you'll find all the attachments associated with a project.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 12.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 06-29-2017 14:09
    @Ken I just wanted to confirm with you that in terms of viewing attachments in the list view via filter, only users with Manage Project permissions can *delete* any of attachments showing. So unfortunately there's no workaround to having people manage their own attachments, but you will likely find managing attachments via List View easier than the Project Configure view.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 13.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 28 days ago
    Edited by Eric Baerenrodt 28 days ago
    Hi Kristina,

I've just tried this workaround and it no longer works for people that do not have a creator license when trying to attach a file that's not an image (the upload option disappears for non-creators). It's essential for our test runners to be able to attach test evidence (sometimes excel docs) to test runs. Is there an alternative way of doing this that doesn't require re-assigning our limited creator licenses every time someone wants to run a test?

Thanks!

Eric Baerenrodt

• 14.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 28 days ago

Our teams just ran into the same issue and same as Eric, we are required to add more than just pictures. Is this planned for the future release?

Regards, Saludos
    Lilliana Feliciano-Agosto

Siemens Industry, Inc.
    RC-US SI DG SW&C EN-GC EMS
    10900 Wayzata Blvd.
    Minnetonka 55305, USA
    Tel.: +1 612 206-7252
    Fax: +1 952 607-2200
    mailto:lilliana.feliciano@siemens.com

SERVICE CANCELLED by NAM RC-US I CSC IT IND S&LOG - PLEASE CONTACT help.scf@siemens.com

• 15.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 28 days ago
    Hi Eric and Lilliana,

Thank you for reaching out! What you are running into not a defect, but a reflection of changes made in Jama 8.47. In that release, there was an added option to include images in the Test Run results column during test execution. We've also introduced other updates which include changes for licenses, permissions, and behavior in the Test Center.

There is a new Test Runner license which includes basic permissions to read and review, as well as the additional ability to create test plans and defects, and execute test runs.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best,

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 16.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 28 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,

Thank you for your response. The images in the result column is great and works fine as a test runner, but for us, test runners need to be able to attach files as well, namely excel documents. I can do it as a creator but test runners do not have access to this which, in my opinion, is a pretty necessary feature for testers. For us it's not practical to reassign creator licenses whenever someone wants to run tests just so they can attach a spreadsheet.

Is there any way for non-creator licenses to attach excel documents to test runs? (Similar to the feature that Kristina had mentioned above; that's a good solution for our test runners)

Thanks,

Eric Baerenrodt

• 17.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Eric,

Thank you for your patience while I looked into this further. After testing this, I found a new workaround that will allow a Test Runner to add an attachment in the results column.

When a Test Execution is opened, you will see the Add attachment" hyperlink towards the top left section of the window. A Test Runner can add a new attachment there. Then, when they open the upload icon in the results column, they should be able to see the previously uploaded attachment as an available option to select and save to the results column.

If they'd like, they can then remove the attachment from the "Add attachment' box once they have assigned it to the results column.

Below are two images that I hope show this process in better detail.
    Can you please let me know if one of your Test Runners is able to use this workaround?

Best, 

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 18.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 22 days ago
    Edited by Eric Baerenrodt 22 days ago
    Hi Decoteau,

Thank you for your response. So I see where the attachments link is supposed to be in your first picture, it flashes in that window upon opening, but it vanishes instantly. (Shown below) I've tested this with both a creator license and a test runner license in both Chrome and Safari and in both instances I get the same result. I've tried dragging down the test steps table to expose more of the upper window, but that didn't help, it wasn't hiding the attachments box.

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Eric

• 19.  RE: Blocker Level Issue - Testers are unable to attach results files to test run

Posted 22 days ago
    Edited by Decoteau Wilkerson 22 days ago

Hi Eric,

Thank you for this update! We would like to look at this behavior in depth and will likely want to see a HAR file. Can you please open a Support ticket and share this thread in the ticket for reference?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,  

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR