Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

• 1.  Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 05-18-2017 22:36
    Hi,
    I got a following question from our user.

How it is possible to get traceability view where it is possible to see relation from requirements to test cases and to test case steps?

I tried to use Coverage Explore but it returns only number of test steps but not the steps themselves. How would it be possible to get mentioned traceability directly from Jama.

Thank you for your answer

------------------------------
    Vlada

• 2.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 05-19-2017 11:59
    Hi Vlada,

There is no way to achieve this in the UI because all traceability features (Coverage Explorer and the new Trace View) are based off of the List View architecture which displays only the # of steps and not the steps themselves. You would have to create a custom Velocity report to get this kind of detail.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 07-10-2017 13:40
    Krisitna, re: "would have to create a custom Velocity report to get this kind of detail.", are you suggesting that relationships can be created to test steps, since one would think the relationships would have to exist in order to pull them, in some way, into a report?  Or am I missing something, perhaps reading something that's not there ...because I want it to be there?   

Steve

• 4.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 07-10-2017 16:28
    @Steve yes, this is a case of you wanting it to be there-my response to Vlada was only meant to describe having the Test Steps field visible in List View, and how that shows only the # of steps, not the steps themselves. So this is for displaying information that exists on the Test Case itself, not showing a relationship from Requirements directly to the Steps field.

Sorry to get you excited for nothing!

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 07-11-2017 07:22
    Well that's downright hurtful :-(
    Surely I / someone must have submitted a feature request for this some time in the past.  It would truly be a wonderful, and extremely useful, thing!  Thanks for offering Kristina!

Steve

• 6.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 07-11-2017 10:57
    @Steve well, you're right, it would be a wonderful and useful functionality. And yes, someone did start a Feature Request for this. (But it doesn't look like you chimed in.)

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 7.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 07-11-2017 11:47
    ...and I'm off to chime in!  Hoping for a good chime!  A real chimer, he is ...not really...  Thanks for the link!

Steve

• 8.  RE: Tracability from Requirements to the Test Steps

Posted 05-10-2018 12:43
    I am looking for the same functionality.  I need to create a matrix to ensure that all the requirements have passing test runs associated with them.  What is the best practices for this?  I am guessing we are not the only organization looking for this feature.

Rita Marginian
    Altia
    Colorado Springs CO