Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Delete Item permanently

• 1.  Delete Item permanently

Posted 03-10-2017 10:20
    Hi All,

1) Is there an option to delete an item permanently in Jama?

I am not talking about item types. I am pointing the items or components.
    Also, I know there is a HARD DELETE for project. Unfortunately, we have to delete big components permanently, not a project.

Right now if we delete there is an option of restore, so that says in database, the entire data is still there.

Background : We are cleaning up Jama application and database. So removing unwanted items permanently. Also sometimes we will reuse the items to a new project(splitting up projects) and then wants to HARD DELETE the original items.

2) Also, when want to split up the project to be in the Jama recommended size limit per project, we have the option to split up by using the MOVE feature in 2015.5 Jama version.
    But in MOVE Feature, we believe the items are not deleted from database, rather new copies are created and old copies are marked as deleted. This again will increase database size. This goes against our strategy to limit the database.

InShort, Any idea how an item in Jama can be deleted forever which is no more in use.
    Any help on this will be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Sanjay Krishnan R S
    ADIT

• 2.  RE: Delete Item permanently

Posted 03-10-2017 14:34
    Hi Sanjay,

1. This is true. Deleted items are deactivated in the database. However, there is no way in the UI to remove these database entries. You could attempt something with a database query, but this is not something we support.

2. Here is some background on the Move feature:
    -Only the current version of the item is moved to the new project, whether it's active or deleted (all previous versions will remain in their row in the document table of the source project. 
    -Attachments, Tags, and Releases are all currently project specific in Jama. So, these are actually copied and placed in the destination project. If the user wishes to remove these from the source project, they will have to do so manually - this includes attachments. 

Given this, I agree with your assessment that your database will grow by using the move feature. But, like with #1, we do not have a supported means to avoid this.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Delete Item permanently

Posted 03-13-2017 09:11
    Edited by Sanjay Krishnan R S 03-13-2017 09:11
    Thanks Kristina for the input.

Doesn't this seem to be a limitation of Jama and something should be considered as important in upcoming features?

Also, we have seen that versioning of items(history of changes) taken care by Jama also increases database adversely.
    Because Jama doesn't store the difference between two versions. Rather, Jama stores each version as each item copy.
    So even if there is a one line change in description, Jama will have two almost identical copies of item resulting in twice the bigger size in database.

Sanjay Krishnan R S
    ADIT

• 4.  RE: Delete Item permanently

Posted 03-13-2017 13:23
    Sanjay, yes, I understand your concern. However, this is all by design and is legacy code, so I wouldn't consider it something requiring immediate attention. If you would like to see Jama change its database architecture you can make a feature request, but from what I have seen of the road map, this isn't something that would fit in for the near future.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 5.  RE: Delete Item permanently

Posted 04-24-2017 08:38
    Hi, what about deleting attachments ? Can attachments in test run be restored when deleted?

Simone

• 6.  RE: Delete Item permanently

Posted 04-24-2017 14:30
    Hi Simone,
    If an attachment is deleted and you need to recover it you can go into project configuration and click on the attachments tab. I attached a screenshot for you. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Dana Medhaug
    Business Support Engineer
    Jama