Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Inconsistent review deadline times

• 1.  Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 09-27-2017 10:39
    We're in the process of upgrading from 2015.5 to 8.20.1 and stumbled across a minor bug in the review email notifications. ​​ Specifically, the Jama UI correctly displays the review deadline in our local time zone (Pacific).  However, the review notification emails display the time in UTC.  See attached examples.

The initial response from Jama Support suggests this is by design.  (See support request #38921.)  But this Jama Community post indicates that anything in the UI for an on-premise instance should pick up the time zone as configured by the admin.

This still feels like a bug to me.  I don't see the logic in confusing users with UTC time zones.

------------------------------
    Andrew Gilbert

• 2.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 09-27-2017 11:47
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for bringing this up. The post you linked to was written in January 2016, prior to the deployment of Jama 8.1. With Jama 8, time is reported a bit differently than in versions prior. (I just added a note to the article stating this.) We made the conscious decision to use UTC as the standard time for notifications. That begs the question though, is this the best tactic for end-users? As you pointed out, it might not be-it is certainly confusing.

We're tracking various UI inconsistencies and bugs as something that needs to be addressed. I have alerted our Product team to this thread. Again, thanks for bringing it up.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 3.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 09-27-2017 15:59
    ​Kristina - Thanks for confirming our thought that the decision to display UTC times is confusing to users.  Looking forward to seeing this in a future release!

Andrew Gilbert

• 4.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 09-27-2017 16:40
    ​To add to the confusing time zones in the system-generated emails about reviews, one of our users noticed during data conversion testing that the review times in the UI itself show UTC instead of the local time zone.  In the attached screenshots, you'll see that the review was initiated on 4/12 at 2:08pm in 2015.5 while in the 8.20.1 instance it shows as 7:08am.

Interestingly, this time zone shift is the opposite of what we would've expected - I guessed 2015.5 would be PDT and 8.20 in UTC, but it appears to be the opposite.

We think this is a relatively harmless quirk of the data migration and somewhere along the line the system changing how time zones are stored/managed, but wanted to point it out as something to be aware of.

Andrew Gilbert

• 5.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 09-28-2017 17:04
    @Andrew, thanks for piling on the confusion :) I agree with you, though; this is something we should be made aware of, so I'm glad you brought it up. The behavior has been inconsistent at best, and the switch to UTC for *most, but not all* makes this especially confusing for end users.

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 6.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 01-04-2018 12:53
    Same concern about UTC time showing for the review notification... we're not fond of it either as it confuses people. Is there any news on this or anything I can tell people to work around it? Or do we learn to adjust for the time being.

Thanks

James Loftus
    Farmers
    Mercer island WA
    206-236-6698

• 7.  RE: Inconsistent review deadline times

Posted 01-05-2018 13:28
    Hi @James, there are no near-term plans to change how time is displayed in Jama. Given the lack of plans and no workaround, I think the best thing you can do is learn to adjust.​

Kristina King
    Jama Software