Support

Expand all | Collapse all

Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

• 1.  Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-04-2021 11:45
    Hello,
    We need to list all the IDs from another application in a pick list. Is this possible? The reason being is that we have found using a text box leads to too many incorrect values or people trying to add additional information in that field.

Is there any way to meet this need for multiple Jama projects? I thought about using "Item of Type" and just create an item type called ETQ IDs, but then I have to create the IDs in every project. I would like to have a central list.

Thank you
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 2.  RE: Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-04-2021 16:33
    Hi Jason,

Thanks for reaching out! Would this picklist of IDs be fixed or will you need to add to/update the IDs over time?

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 3.  RE: Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-05-2021 08:07
    Edited by Decoteau 08-05-2021 10:57

Update on a regular basis

• 4.  RE: Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-05-2021 16:31
    Hi Jason,

In order to make a picklist available across multiple or all projects, the values would need to exist in Admin but there isn't a way to import values straight into your Admin settings like this.

There are integrations available with Jama (TIH/OpsHub) but those do not integrate configuration/Admin settings.

Normally we'd suggest exploring a type of custom script but not in this case because the picklist was not built for volume (100s of entries or more) or frequent updates.

Without being certain of your exact use case, or knowing what the IDs are of, I can't be certain that this is a good workaround but you could try bringing those items into Jama via integration (e.g., TIH) and then use relationships instead of selecting from a picklist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR

• 5.  RE: Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-11-2021 12:56
    The use case is this:
    We have another tool that is used for complaints submitted from our customers. We want to be able to link defects in Jama to those complaints. Ideally what we would like is a field that allows multi selection of the IDs from this other tool.  We do not want to have it is a free text field as it is prone to incorrect entry.

All the projects in Jama would need to be able to reference these IDs

Does that adequately define the use case? Any solutions?

Jason Barton
    VMS
    Palo Alto CA

• 6.  RE: Populate Pick List with Values From Another Application

Posted 08-17-2021 14:11

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your patience on this topic. There is not a way to have a multi-select, dynamically populated list of values, at least not in a very usable way (especially as the list gets bigger and bigger.)

Since this is a unique use case, I wanted to get feedback from one of our consultants here at Jama.

Here is what we think would be the best solution for you: 

1: Create a Project of "Complaints" that contains Items of type "Complaints".
    2: Bring those complaints into Jama (either through imports, a script, or TIH.)
    3: Trace Defects across Projects to the Complaints in the Complaints Project.

By doing this, Defects found across various Jama Projects would link to Complaints housed in a single Project.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Decoteau Wilkerson
    Jama Software
    OR