Product Idea

Expand all | Collapse all

Project Details additional fields

• 1.  Project Details additional fields

Posted 07-03-2015 10:44
    We like to track more information on project level like classification and IDs.
    Is there a possibility to add them by an org-admin?
    As these information are one-time per project, it will not help to create an item-type for that unless it would be possible to keep that item one-time per project.

• 2.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 07-03-2015 11:30
    Katja,

The current version of Jama does not  have a way for an org-admin to add additional information. Below are the current available fields. The work-around perhaps is to create a special item-type as you have mentioned. I also know some team put a text item at the start of their project and keep details there. You might consider creating a ReadMe text item that contains project classifications and ID's. 

Jama is observing a US holiday (one day before July 4th Independence Day) today. I'm sure Kristina will get back to you next Monday.

• 3.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 07-06-2015 12:53
    Hi Katja! I think Swoo provided the best options—either the use of a Text field introducing the project (which many organizations do) or a custom item type, which you have thought about. However, there isn't a means to prevent the item type from being utilized more than once. Item types can only be made visible or invisible in the Project >  Configure Project > Item Types flow.

• 4.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-06-2015 09:55
    Hi Kristina,
    how can I change this question into a feature request?

As you mentioned that "many organizations do" it may be helpful for others as well.
    To use text field and/or issue type does not meet this request to track Jama project details.
    Also a project manager should be able to maintain the content, so invisible is also not a solution.

There are already some project details fields available like name/description/Sponsor/...  .
    But this should be customizable by an admin like an specific (single) project item type.

• 5.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-06-2015 11:31
    Hi Katja,

i am not a Jama employee. Only @Kristina with Jama can consider the merit and the urgency of your request and change your question to an idea for the product team to consider. Perhaps you can explain the impact and urgency to Kristina and Jama in term of the number of project managers that are impacted at your company, etc. Good luck.

The only other work-around I can think of is to create a text item ReadMe and you can put all sorts of relevant information in it. At my company sometimes a project admin or a  project lead will put relevant information, training scenarios, key contacts in a ReadMe or Gettting_Starte text item. If you want this information hidden you can set up set/group-level permission like ForProjectAdminOnly component and hide confidential information in there.

Good luck. Have a good day.

swoo

• 6.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-06-2015 14:21
    Katja, I've changed this into a feature request. Ultimately it sounds like you would like a unique item type for each project that is editable by a user with Project Manage permissions, not just admins? Or, conversely, you'd like us to expand the Project Details fields (perhaps allowing custom fields) and making this accessible to project managers. Noted, and thanks for the context.

Swoo also makes a good point below—you can always create a text item introducing a project and provide permissions only to Project Managers if they're the only ones who need to see it.

• 7.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-07-2015 08:46
    Hi Kristina,
    thanks for change this into a feature request. How can I see that resp. how can other see that this is a request and may add votes to it? Currently it looks like an answered question.

Hi Swoo,
    thanks for your suggestions. Hiding is not what we are looking for.
    I will provide an example for this kind of information: Classification (like internal, confidential).
    This is an attribute which should be on project level. Of course only one-time and also visible for everyone. Responsible are Project Manager. Therefore they must be able to change it.
    Project details screen seems to be the right place for me.

How urgent? "Classification" is an audit request and therefore a must-be.
    Our current workaround is to have this attribute to every single item (i.e. one in each item type).
    as we need this Classification information also while sync with other tools.
    Currently Tasktop is not able to merge project-details to an item even though this would be available. So maybe we need an other solution to track project general information.

I am open for more suggestions or an enhancement.

• 8.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-07-2015 13:30
    Katja, sorry about that leaving off the correct categorization. It's an Idea now, so other users can vote on it if they'd like to see it. Thanks for providing the context why this request is important to your company. At this point I don't have any more suggestions on how to achieve this, but I am curious to see if other users do.

• 9.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-07-2015 19:36
    Hi Kristina,

At our company we don't keep additional information in the project details but we make good use of the "status" field to denote the types of projects in order to allow our proprietary reporting and update tools to access the Jama data and structure in the correct way. 

By the way, some of the item types do have "classification" because we want to manage each item down to the item level.

For example, in Günther's hosted sandbox Jama project
    Item                                                                           Classification
    Günther is a dog                                                        public
    Günther is a miniature schnauzer                              public
    Does Günther jump on people                                   private :-)
    Does Günther sleeps above or below the comforter private :-)

• 10.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-11-2015 09:04
    good suggestion and very pictorial example ;-)   ((my parents also had a schnauzer))
    I will follow up to use status in our company to track classification.

Only to mention it:
    I like to keep this blog as an idea as there are other information (medium urgent) to track on project level

• 11.  Re: Project Details additional fields

Posted 08-11-2015 11:46
    Günther gives a 4 paws up for any message that mentions dogs and especially schnauzers. :-)

• 12.  RE: Project Details additional fields

Posted 03-26-2020 09:11
    The original enhancement proposal is something what I am looking for.
    Currently we are "misusing" the fields Status and Category but we would like to have more properties to categorize different types of Jama projects. E.g. easily show which one is Mechanics project and which one is pure SW  and which one is a combination of both. Or  when we have Library projects as requirement assets and we want to separate them from R&D development projects.
    This would help the reporting and statistics creation.
    Using those free text fields is not good solution compared to use of  predefined pick list values for specific properties.

------------------------------
    Anja
    Finland

• 13.  RE: Project Details additional fields

Posted 03-27-2020 03:03
    +1 also from us

Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG