Select Specific Test Cases for a Cycle

[Deleted User]
edited July 2016 in
When creating a Cycle, Jama restricts my selections to Groups and status.  Many times, this is insufficient.  I suggest that once the selections are made, the User is shown the list of Test Cases that match the criteria (each with a selection box that defaults to selected). The User could then do one of the following
1) create the Cycle using all the selected cases
2) deselect those that are not needed in the cycle, then create
3) go back to change the criteria

This capability will be helpful in creating cycles for code fix deliveries to test.  many times, the code drop does not contain the fixes for all of the failed cases.  It is too cumbersome to add all the failed cases to the cycle, then delete the ones you don't want.  That is a lot of manual steps that could be done easier before the cycle is created, rather than after.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the idea, Mary. Given the question you posed yesterday, this makes a lot of sense for your workflow.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    I just discovered a 'gotcha' in creating cycles that just re-enforces the need for a more flexible method for creating cycles.
    We have about 1500 cases that we execute for integration testing.  During integration testing, we will need to create cycles for each planned code delivery and a fix cycle & a regression cycle for each fix delivery.
    Then, when it is time for formal testing to the customer, we select some of the integration cases (30-40% ish) to execute.  Depending on the customer, we can have 2 or more formal test phases.  I plan to create a new cycle for each formal test phase.
    Right now there is no efficient way to create the formal test cycles.  I will have to select all 1500-ish cases.  Then, delete 60-70% of them.  UGH!
    I really need a more efficient way to do this!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the added context, Mary. The only thing I can think of would require a reconfiguration of how you do testing, by reusing your test cases for different customers/phases, rather than creating a new cycle for the different customer. But I don't think that would make life any easier.

If you have a chance, I'd check another conversation going on about variations in test cases as it might help you think of a better workaround.
  • Manel Moreno
    edited September 2015

We totally agree with this idea: selecting just the specific TCs to be included in a cycle is something needed. Currently the way JAMA provides to do it is limited and not flexible in this sense.

So we hope this improvement is considered for further versions.

• Preston Mitchell
    edited March 2016
    As a workaround - what about making the test cases that are part of the plan "dynamic"? i.e based on a filter?  Before you create a new cycle you can go to the "Test Cases" portion of the plan and remove all test cases, then add test cases based on a filter you selected. All the test runs in historic cycles will still remain, the test cases associated in the Plan are just for "go-forward" cycles.
    Preston
    Jama Software
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015
    Is there an outlook for implementing this idea?  Will it be implemented?  Right now, I have a test team that has only 600 test cases.  Our failure rate is higher than I would like - but it is what it is.  We take twice weekly builds.  Having to manually, 1 by 1 delete runs from a new cycle is very time consuming and error prone.  We have had to redo several cycle creations due to errors.

I must say, that when we get to implementing a really large project (over 3000 cases), I may have to find an alternative to JAMA.  I will not be able to manage the large number of cases given the cumbersome manner in which cycles are created.
  • Preston Mitchell
    edited May 2016
    There is a pretty straightforward workaround to this: using filters in Jama to inform which tests should be in the next cycle. 
    • Use Tags or some other field (e.g. status, test type) to determine which tests you want in the next cycle
    • Create a filter in Jama that pulls just those Test Cases (instead of all the test cases)
    • Go into the Test Plan area, remove ALL Test Cases from the current Plan (e.g. remove all the groups or use Shift key to select a large list and right-click to remove in batch)
    • Find your filter and drag and drop filter into the Test Plan
    • Create Cycle, it will only bring in those Test Cases based on your filter
    • It will not remove test runs in previous cycles
    Preston
    Jama Software
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Unfortunately this workaround does not work for us. For example related to one product (CE-marked medical device) that uses Jama, we have one test plan per release and test groups for different teams. We would not delete all test groups just because we wanted to select regression tests from one group or pick some failed tests to be re-run in new cycle that have a fix. We need a better way to hand select test cases to test cycles and basically all teams using Jama test management have asked for this feature. We like the suggested idea given in this thread by Mary.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Maija, thank you for the added context surrounding how your organization uses the test management features.  I don't have another solution to offer, unfortunately. I agree that the original idea presented by Mary would work best for the most people.
  • Hi,

Is there any progress? We also would appreciate more flexible approach to Test Cycle planning.

How we see current limitations:

• One Test Cases cannot be in more Test Groups
      • This is limiting us e.g. in the case that the test groups represents a functionality for the module and there are some tests that must be executed for specifically for each module
      • Or we need to do a preliminary tests – initial tests to show that is makes sense to continue with further testing. In this case we need to create a specific Test Group to create a preliminary Test Cycle, when preliminary tests are completed then we delete preliminary Test Group and create a regular Test Groups (Test Cases used for preliminary tests are included in the newly created Test Groups as we need them for future retest if needed).

So the best for us would be to have a possibility that

• One Test Case can be in more test groups
    • It is not necessary to use Test Group and a Test Case can be directly inserted to the Test Cycle.

Please let us know what is the current plan as the way hot Test Cycle are created is very limiting when we need to be flexible and react on the development needs.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Vlada
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-14-2015 18:11
    Subject: Re: Select Specific Test Cases for a Cycle

Maija, thank you for the added context surrounding how your organization uses the test management features.  I don't have another solution to offer, unfortunately. I agree that the original idea presented by Mary would work best for the most people.

Vlada
  • We have a similar workflow to the one that Maija described. Our current workaround is to include all test runs in the new cycle and only run the tests that are applicable to the changes. The report is then designed to ignore test runs that have not been executed. Of course, being able to select the relevant test cases up front and avoid all the workarounds would be preferred.