Relationships and links in the items (Links should update dynamically)

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 160
edited October 2016 in
Hi

I have a couple of question about relationship for items and links between them.
1) As far as I can see currently if you add into item a link to the other Jama item then no new relationship is created between them automatically. I think it could be useful. Is it possible to have such feature?
2) If you have link from item 1 to item 2 and remove item 2 then you have dead link in the item 1. Is it possible to have similar behavior as for relationship: if you remove item then all its relations to other items are removed too? Or display message/warning with list of items that will have such dead links after deletion?

Thank you in advance  

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for starting this conversation, Igor. It looks like Ryan deleted his reply, but I think he brought up some good things to muse on.
    -What is the purpose of linking to another Jama item within Jama rather than relating them? Furthermore, why do you need both a need and a relationship to another item?
    -Right now the architecture behind linking is not as sophisticated to be able to do this—both because no link checking is done (so both Jama or external web links aren't checked to see if active) and because links are not verified when initially added. Do I think it would be cool if Jama were capable of your suggestions? I certainly do! So I look forward to hearing more about how you and your team uses links.
  • Ryan Dill
    Ryan Dill Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just FYI, I had deleted my reply because my initial assumption had been that Igor was talking about the "Add Url" option in the Links tab of items -- after I posted, though, I realized he could also be talking about the "Add Link" option in the rich text editor, which specifically permits the user to link against Jama items.

I figured I'd let the conversation shake out further before sticking my nose in. :)
    Ryan Dill
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you for participation.
    In general I think both relationship between items and links to other items (in rich editor) could be used. First is required to work with traceability, etc. Second is useful when you would like to mention requirement in the specific place of other requirement.
    For example,  there is a workflow with 6 stages and some of them have substages. So you have 10+ separate items (for stages/substages and workflow in general). I think it's useful to put into the description of workflow links to specific stages/substages. Reader could press the link and see specific details. If I don't use links, then I have to find required stage in the long link of relationships where in general I have other requirements, data definitions, test cases, other custom items.

To my mind in the ideal world links in Jama should work like this:
    1) If I create link and it's for internal Jama item then I could also specify the same properties as for relations now (if I want to create such relation). And in the admin part I could specify default direction and type for such relation.
    2) When I remove such link then Jama should warn me that there is relation to that item (in case if I want to remove it). Maybe this behavior should be configurable in the admin part
    3) When I remove such relation then Jama should warn me that there is link to that item (in case if I want to remove it). Maybe this behavior should be configurable in the admin part

Let me know if I can  clarify something about this case
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'd like to add one more example.
    During description of use cases each alternative flow could be described in the separate item. In such cases links from the parent item with basic flow to the item with alternative flows could be useful. What do you think?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That's all very clear, Igor, thank you. Ideally the use of relationships or parent/sub-item would fulfill your needs, but you're right that the more complicated a workflow or use case is, the harder that is to manage.
    I'm going to change this from a question to Idea to reflect that you're looking for entirely new functionality. I'm curious if other customers also want this, and if it's to fulfill a similar need. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Kristina, thank you