Review comment tracking outside of review

[Deleted User]
edited November 2016 in
Is there a way to have comments from a review be visible on the item's comments tab outside of a review? This is something I really need to figure out.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    In short, the answer is No.  You can, if you have access to the review, see the comments that were made within the review back on the project if you find the review hyperlink in question within the activities.  You can click on that hyperlink and then see all the comments that were made within the review. There were some feature requests around this topic on the old support community.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    I'll chime in with Angela's comment—yes, there were some feature requests and we're still aware of them! From a support angle we're working on a way to share a report template with you that should help you out with review comments. More info on that as it develops...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2015
    Thank you guys for the feedback. The issue is I have a new person on the team and we have been working in Jama on a project for a year or so now. Since he wasn't in any of the reviews before now he cannot see any of the comments that have been made on any of the items. He can just see the revisions and what has changed. For him, the reason why changes were made are lost and we spend more time getting him caught up. He has voiced frustration that he could not go through Jama and get himself up to speed.

This has answered my question. I can point him to the activity feed and from now on make my reviews public so he can access them from the link to the reviews.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    I just wanted to circle back on this, Davin. I mentioned we'd have a report to share for review comments. I have learned that our next on-premises release is scheduled for April 7, and in tandem with that announcement Support will make available a handful of BIRT reports. One of those reports is capable of compiling all the comments in a review. So check back in a few weeks for that report. It will help should you come across this again in the future.
  • Matjaz Nartnik
    edited November 2015
    Are there any updates about availability of April 7 release and new reports avaialable with it?

We are facing the same issues with review comments as described above.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    We have now made available a Review Center Comments report for 2015.1 (with Java 8). That can be found on this post regarding reports. We are working to make some versions of this report available for older versions of Jama. I should have more updates to that page by the end of the week.
  • Matjaz Nartnik
    edited November 2015
    Thanks. This is very usefull.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2015
    The ability to retrospectively make a review public could be useful here. 
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited September 2015
    Hi George,

You can see review comments in the activity tab.

Harald
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Good point, Harald—if a user has read access to an item they can see all review comments in the activity stream. George, that is an interesting thought, though.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2016
    If you are not on using the latest release of Jama, you can still
    utilize the Review Center Comments report. As of today, earlier versions have been
    added to the list of unsupported reports we offer, as well as some additional usage reports.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2015
    @Harald,
    In my activity tabs all I see is "This item was reviewed in REV-186 v1". Is there a configuration option to shown the review comments?

@All,
    Retrospectively making a review public would enable new users to see the review comments in context of the review & review version.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2015
    @George - If you were part of the review, the REV-186v1 would be a hyperlink that you could click and then see the comments for that particular item. If the REV-186v1 is not a hyperlink, then you were not part of the review and are unable to access the comments associated. There is no setting needed and this is by default how Jama works.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2015
    @Angela - Thanks for the clarification (I didn't think I'd missed a config option!).

@Kristina - So this wouldn't help for new members joining a Jama project as they wouldn't have been part of previous reviews. I think this makes the option for retrospectively making reviews public more appealing.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2015
    I may have missed something. I have downloaded the report and configured it per the instructions but when I go back to my project and try to select a review to run the report on the selection box is empty. Is there something I may have missed?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    The report only works for reviews that are still open.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2015
    Well... I guess this would be somewhat useful but doesn't address my original issue. My issue will be solved once I can make reviews public retroactively. I will be able to do this once I update my on premise instance from 2014.1. We have started that process. Thanks for the feature.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    And just to note, Davin, that you'll have to edit and publish the review to make a closed review public. There's no way to make it public without opening it up again. (Although you could republish it with only yourself as the audience so no one gets the notifications, and then provide other users the direct review link.)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2015
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    The Review Center Comments report that was written for 2014.1 *should* work for 2014.2, however, it has not been tested and we cannot confirm that it does.
    The version for 2015.1 will not work with 2014.2 because of the BIRT upgrade in 2015.1.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    The most we have for a user guide for the report is the Word doc in the report folder on Box (https://jamasoftware.app.box.com/s/sfwg88wnk1bzowflr18apjubtk19mtnj). Aside from that, an open Review needs to be selected as the parameter within the report run screen.

Do you have a particular question?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Ha! You're bugging no one ;)

1. Yes, you can recover a review and run a report. However, it might not be open after recovering it—you might have to also choose Tools > Reopen Review after recovering it. (It depends what status the Review was when it was originally closed.)
    2. As long as you pulled the report out of the folder indicated for the version you're on, it should work. The report for 2014.1 was tested on 2014.1, but there is no reason it shouldn't work on 2014.2—it just hadn't been tested. I'm not sure why it would pull up a review that is for something else, considering the parameter is chooses is based on the review ID. Can you attach a screenshot of the Criteria from the Add/Edit screen when you setup the report?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Instead of creating a new thread, I have a question in a similar vein. I would like replies to a review comment to email the user who created the comment, even after the review has closed. As review administrator, I may need to respond to a review comment after it has closed, and I would like that information to be sent to the commentator, maybe with a link to the reviewed item. It would help with closing the loop on some reviews.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Bill, what version of Jama are you using? I can't recall that we've made any changes to how Review comment emails work, but I just tested a user replying to a comment after a review was closed, and the original commenter received an email that there had been a reply.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2016
    Kristina, thanks for following up.  The email went to his spam filter.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Ah, I'm glad to hear that it went somewhere ;) Thanks for letting me know!
  • Rich Mann
    edited November 2016
    Kristina,

In the "Reports" I see "Review Center Stats Report" but I don't see the "Review Center Comments report" that you mentioned in your post from several months ago.  How do I generate the "Review Center Comments report?"  I need a report that includes the stats and the comments, even from a closed review.  Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    The RC Comments report is a (non-supported) custom report created by our Services team. You can get details, including how to add it to your instance, via this thread in the community. However, it only shows comments from open reviews. 

If you need a report that shows comments from reviews in any state along with the stats, you're in custom reporting territory (which would require a Services engagement, unless you develop it yourself for an on-premises environment).
  • Rich Mann
    edited November 2016
    Kristina,

Thank you.  Are there also instructions for how to develop our own reports for our on-premise environment?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Start here https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/introduction-to-advanced-reporting to determine if your needs call for BIRT or Velocity. Once you've decided that, there are some tutorial videos that can get you going.