Make Hyperlinks Function In the Context In Which They Are Produced

Options
Marlen Baker
Marlen Baker Member Posts: 19
edited July 2016 in
if you export to an MS Word document, then any links created between Jama items are embedded into the document as a link to the item in Jama - so when pressed, the link attempts to open the item in your browser, going to the login page if not currently logged in.

Same happens in a review - pressing a link in a review attempts to open the source item within the Project Explorer.

This causes us a problem as our reviewers use both the review centre and MS Word exports, but as they are review user, when they press these links they get an error that they don't have permission to open the item - this causes them to question the requirements thinking something is missing.

We would like it that if you press a link in a MS Word document it takes you to the linked item in the Word document. Likewise pressing a link in a review takes you to the item in the review context. Only problem would be If the link is to an item not in the document or review - I guess some sort of error is the only logical option here.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this problem, Marlen. It's really hard to say that there is an ideal solution to this problem, and you touch on that—the issue where the items referenced are not in the review itself, or if the items referenced are not in the Word export. There is no way to gate exports to contain all the items that are linked in another item, unless they are related as well as linked. So how would you foresee working around this? 
  • Marlen Baker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Kristina

I agree it needs some more thought on exactly how it would work. I would propose the following  as a starting point
    • Would have to be a project setting to determine if working like this or the current way for reports
    • And a review center setting for reviews
    • For the Word extract, if the link is to an item outside the context (ie not in the Word extract) then options are (a) some form of invalid link which would give the standard "Error! Reference not found" text in the Word doc or (b) the current behaviour to try to open the item in Jama
    • For the review centre if the link is to an item outside the context then would need to be the current behaviour to try to open the item in Project Explorer.
    I can imagine the last two points may not be easy for your development team though!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, Marlen...you're definitely giving us some things to think about here.
  • Marlen Baker
    Options
    Has any further thought been given to this? A number of out customer have complained independently about this as they have reviewer only licences and it is a real problem for them
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    Options
    I want add some related aspects. Creating a copy of a project does not update the links inside the project, so all hyperlinks point to the source project. It would also be nice that in such cases automatically relationships to these items would be created at creation and removed at removal.
  • Marlen Baker
    Options
    Hello

has any progress been made on this issue?

Its one that causes embarrassment to use with all our customers. They only have review access and so whenever they click a link to another requirement in the same review they get a 'no permissions' error. It really needs to jump to that requirements within the review.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Marlen we are working on the Review Center as we speak, but I don't know if this sort of change is going to make it in; there hasn't been many requests for this, and it would be a big technical lift to do correctly.
  • Marlen Baker
    Options
    Hi
    Unfortunately this has now become critical for us. It makes the Review Centre almost unusable for our customers, several of whom now refuse to use it.

This means we are now actively considering whether to ditch Jama for another application  -we don't want to but are close to having no choice due to this problem

Regards
    Marlen
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
    Options
    When links are copied from Jama into a Word or Excel document, we would like it if the link functioned as expected.

Currently I can copy a requirement link into Word or Excel:

https://merkle.jamacloud.com/perspective.req?docId=9559&projectId=48

But when I click on the same link, it resolves to the home page 

https://merkle.jamacloud.com/

and not to the actual requirement.
  • Steve Gotsch
    Steve Gotsch Jama Staff, Product Manager Moderator Posts: 22
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Are the links in those documents similar to what you have in the comment, where the "perspective.req?docId=9559&projectId=48" part is not included in the link? If so then we just need to identify how those links are getting created to see if they can be adjusted to properly contain the full link to the content.

Jama Connect export, custom report, copy 'n' paste?