Product Idea

Expand all | Collapse all

Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

• 1.  Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 03-13-2015 10:38
    Will we be able to specify a separate timeout value for named license users someday?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How to change session timeout.

• 2.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 03-13-2015 14:16
    That's an interesting question, Mark. I'm sorry if the answer should be obvious—but why? What is the value of named licenses being timed out at a different rate than floating licenses?

• 3.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 03-13-2015 14:59
    A floating seat is a shared resource, whereas a named seat is permanently assigned to someone.  If you want to increase the availability of shared / floating licenses, a shorter timeout compared to a named seat would help a lot. 

• 4.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 03-18-2015 13:11
    As Jama is moving away from floating licenses, I don't think we'll see separate timeouts.

• 5.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 04-27-2016 11:05
    We are very actively using floating licenses on our hosted Jama. It would be a huge improvement for our user experience, if the users holding a permanent licenses (creators, collaborators, and reviewers) were not impacted by the timeout. I think this is really something Jama should implement.

• 6.  RE: Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 05-30-2018 11:08
    I agree it would be helpful if named and floating licenses could have separate timeouts. My specific concern is the impact of the timeout on executing tests. Some of our tests are quite involved and can take 2-3 hours to execute. (I know that one suggestion will be to break the test into smaller pieces, but we're testing an ultrasound system and sometimes the test just needs to be that long.) Are testers expected to remember to "save early, save often" so they don't lose test results? Are there other options for supporting long tests without losing data due to the license timeout rules?

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Theresa
    ------------------------------

• 7.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 04-27-2016 14:43
    I agree. Frankly, I don't see why time-outs are required for non-floating licenses.

• 8.  Re: Named licenses should have session timeout setting separate from floating licenses

Posted 04-27-2016 18:51
    I don't disagree, but security could be a reason.  I've also seen a lot of spurious locks that just accumulate over time.  Anything that would minimize that would be helpful...