Product

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

• 1.  Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 01-28-2015 22:29
    Our organization has added some custom specification fields to our Test Case item type. Is it possible to have these show in Test Runs? Do Test Runs inherit everything in a Test Case?

Originally posted by Jama Services as a Q&A

• 2.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 01-28-2015 22:32
    At this point, Test Run item types do not inherit custom fields from Test Cases; the only fields that are inherited are the default fields Name, Description and Test Steps. If there are fields you frequently require in both Test Cases and Test Runs, we recommend creating an Editor Template to populate your Test Case Description field with, so that test creators won't rely on custom fields for crucial data.

Once you create an Editor template, it can then be populated by default in your Test Case item type by selecting Admin > Item Types > Test Case > Config > Description > Edit > Default Template:

Once you have this enabled, the Test Case creator will put important info in the Description field they know will be passed through to the Test Run. In the example below, the Test writer created a new item and found the headings in bold already present:

When a user executes a test run, he or she will see that important Summary, Prerequisite, and Browser data entered by the test creator.

• 3.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 01-29-2015 10:42
    This is slick.  I was somewhat aware of the Test Plan template (which someone asked about tweaking earlier this week) but I didn't realize this was available to every test field.  I'm certain we have a couple of teams that would take advantage ... BUT ... I'm equally certain they would want control at the project level.

Is that a possibility?  I didn't see it...

Thinking about it, if I had the choice of customizing items or templates at the project level, my instinct from an Admin perspective is, I'd rather have the items be common and the templates vary by project.  (my $0.02)

Bob

• 4.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 01-29-2015 15:24
    Bob, I completely agree about having control at the project level. There isn't currently any functionality that would allow for this on a project-by-project basis, and we in Support have yet to determine an optimal workaround for this quandary. I agree that it would be nice to have templates be applicable per individual project.

You could always create a template specific to each project, and work into your processes the choosing of a template when one creates a new test case (or whatever item type). If you don't specify a default template in the item type, users could always select a template in the Rich Text Editor:

This suggestion isn't quite what you're looking for, as it involves one more step on the user's behalf, but at least there's some flexibility with the templates.

• 5.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 04-18-2016 18:12
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Priority Field and Test Cases/Test Runs.

I've been looking around, and I may be missing something.

We want to be able to have a test case with a priority, and to have that priority be the "same" when a test run is created from that test case.

Is there a way to do this, or would this be a feature request? 

The intent is that when the test case is created and routed for approval, a proirity could be assigned. Then, when the test plan is created, and the test cased added, the new test runs would have the same priority as their associated test case.

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 04-18-2016 18:16
    Hey Jennifer! This question is a popular one (although it doesn't have tons of followers/Me Too), but I say that because I've heard it put many different ways in my time...but what it all boils down to is, no, Test Cases do not pass anything down to Test Runs except Name, Description, and Test Steps. It would be a feature request, so I can change this conversation to an Idea.

• 7.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 05-04-2016 10:25
    I second this request.  We have a custom item type called "Test Scenarios", which is essentially a "Test Case" item type.  In that item, we have a custom field called "Est. Completion Time".  When we add a TS to a Test Plan, anything entered in the "Est. Completion Time" field is lost, even though the field itself is visible when looking at the Test Plan's list of TS.  This seems more like a bug than a feature request.  If nothing but "Name", "Description" and "Test Steps" carry over, why is the custom field visible?  Templates are not an ideal solution in our case because we would like to be able to eventually tally those "Est. Completion Times".

• 8.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 05-04-2016 10:32
    This is going to be a challenge for us.  As we look to improve processes and efficiencies, we are prioritizing our test cases so that high impact/high priority test cases are run first.  If those fail, we are stopping our testing and waiting for defect fixes to be delivered.  This will allow us to minimize rework from a testing standpoint however to successfully implement this approach, we need the Test Case priority that is agreed upon with the Business and Developer to appear in the Test Run.

• 9.  Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs—it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 05-06-2016 18:44
    I don't have the historical context to explain why the Name/Description/Test Steps are the only things to carry over, but that was how it was designed, so I can't agree that it is a bug. That said, I do agree with you that this is very limiting and ambiguous at best.

• 10.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-22-2017 12:26
    We also need this feature.  We have some reporting integrations and not having these fields in the test run means we need to make an extra REST call per test run to find the priority or any other custom field we may have created.

------------------------------
    Matt Kaiser
    OSI

• 11.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-23-2017 04:06
    We need this feature as well. The templates are useful but headings and format can still be changed, causing standardization issues at output time. The ease of correcting this manually in the output is not ideal; it causes a discrepancy between the database and our published documentation.

Nicki Repici
    ZOLL
    Pittsburgh PA

• 12.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-28-2017 00:02
    ​Hi,
    please, add our organization as impacted for this feature request. We've also got custom fields on the test case, that we would like to be able to see on the test run.
    Is this considered to be changed some time?

Regards,

Ekaterina

• 13.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-29-2017 08:53
    @Ekaterina Kessner I do not know if we will change this-it is the plan to look at testing this year and see what should/could be done to improve the experience, but it's too early to say if this will happen. (I hope it does!)

Kristina King
    Jama Software

• 14.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-30-2017 01:09
    Ok, thanks for the info, Kristina.

/Ekaterina

• 15.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 09-20-2017 14:00
    We have the same need here for this feature to be made available for Test Runs.  We have a custom field for Success Criteria in our Test Cases that I would very much like to add as part of Test Runs.  Thanks.

Joon Chang
    Naval Research Laboratory -NRL - Space Ground System Solutions (SGSS)

• 16.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 09-21-2017 06:48
    ​This would also be a huge value add for our organization as we have a handful of fields that are manually replicated on Test case, test plan and test runs.  The desire would be that we could choose fields to be inherited from test case down to test plans, test runs, etc.​

Mary Boyd
    VW Credit

• 17.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-11-2018 07:56
    Can Jama provide an update on this request. It appears to have significant following and the ability to propagate the priority of a test case to it's run (along with other fields) feels like core functionality that is missing.  Is this in the roadmap?

Matt Kaiser
    OSI

• 18.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-18-2018 15:41
    My company would also use a feature that allowed us to propagate custom fields from Test Cases to Test Runs (Test Plans are another matter). We have multiple test teams that need to track different information on their Test Runs. Since we can't create multiple versions of Test Runs, another implementation strategy would be to create multiple versions of Test Cases, add the desired custom fields to each Test Case version, and propagate the custom fields to the Test Runs. Please consider addressing this in your Test Management roadmap.

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 19.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 06-18-2018 15:55
    . . . and for what it's worth there are at least 2 other Feature Request threads that address customizing Test Plans and/or Test Runs.

Please increase the Test Run customizability!
    Creating a Test Plan and other test artifacts for each project

Thanks,

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA

• 20.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 07-30-2020 08:35
    Any update on this.  This is significantly impacting our reporting needs and is requiring us to hammer the REST endpoints to get this extra data which is causing reports to take unacceptable times.  This seems like a core feature that has been requested for 5 years.

Matt Kaiser
    OSI

• 21.  RE: Re: Custom Test Case fields show in Test Runs-it should be possible to choose what Test Case fields are inherited by a Test Run

Posted 08-21-2020 07:36
    I would suggest that folks who want to see improvements in Test RUn capability go here arnd vote: https://community.jamasoftware.com/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=a04c8083-57fc-4347-80d1-5cd1ea4b4c3f#ItemCommentPanel

Andrew MacCormack
    LumiraDX