Identifying Test cases across different test plans

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1
edited July 2016 in

Is there any way I can know the list of test cases that are in Archived test plan that are also in the Active test Plan. It will be very helpful , otherwise I would be executing same test cases again and again.

Also , I would like to know if the same test cases has been allocated across different test plans.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great question, Ranjitha. I cannot determine any way to see this information from within the GUI itself, although it's possible you could create a custom BIRT or Velocity report to find this information. Archiving a Test Plan is really meant to keep those results out of your hair and enable the ability to execute runs off of those test cases again (if need be). It sounds like we're in new feature territory, so I think the best thing in this case is for me to change this question to an Idea so we can consider it as such.

In terms of seeing if a Test Case exists across multiple plans, I would recommend viewing the "Test Runs" tab on the Test Case item, as that will show all non-archived runs and which plan they belong to.
  • Vladimir Cech
    Vladimir Cech Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hello Jama,

When the feature to get list of Test Cases in the Test Plan will be implemented. I'm not speaking about to see them in the Test Cases in the Test Plan but to be able to find them via a filter and export them. E.g. now for some trouble shooting we needed to know how many test cases are in the test plan but we haven't found a way how to do it. The guy providing Elite support was not able to help us as well.

Thank you for your answer

Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Product Team Posts: 375
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Vlada:

Thank you for your insights here. I want to make sure this Product Idea is categorized correctly for our Product teams to source, your official idea here is to: have the ability to filter for Test Cases used by a particular Test Plan, right? 

And your use case for this particular ask is for: troubleshooting purposes - a need to know the quantity of Test Cases used. Vlada, do you foresee any other business use cases utilizing this idea?

Thank you for your insights here, very helpful and applicable to our current goals! 

Best,

------------------------------
    Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-16-2020 03:43
    Subject: Re: Identifying Test cases across different test plans

Hello Jama,

When the feature to get list of Test Cases in the Test Plan will be implemented. I'm not speaking about to see them in the Test Cases in the Test Plan but to be able to find them via a filter and export them. E.g. now for some trouble shooting we needed to know how many test cases are in the test plan but we haven't found a way how to do it. The guy providing Elite support was not able to help us as well.

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 04-28-2015 21:26

Great question, Ranjitha. I cannot determine any way to see this information from within the GUI itself, although it's possible you could create a custom BIRT or Velocity report to find this information. Archiving a Test Plan is really meant to keep those results out of your hair and enable the ability to execute runs off of those test cases again (if need be). It sounds like we're in new feature territory, so I think the best thing in this case is for me to change this question to an Idea so we can consider it as such.

In terms of seeing if a Test Case exists across multiple plans, I would recommend viewing the "Test Runs" tab on the Test Case item, as that will show all non-archived runs and which plan they belong to.
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello Chloe,

> your official idea here is to: have the ability to filter for Test Cases used by a particular Test Plan, right?
    No. To have a filter that will list all Test Cases included in the Test Plan. (Some test cases can be included in the Test Plan but has not be used.) To have list of Test Test Cases that are really used in the Test Plan will be another good filter because it will be possible to say if all Test Cases included in the Test Plan are also used in the Test Plan.

> And your use case for this particular ask is for: troubleshooting purposes - a need to know the quantity of Test Cases used. Vlada, do you foresee any other business use cases utilizing this idea?
    No. Troubleshooting was what we did now. There it is/was of course useful. But be aware that there is a recommended limit of 4000 Test Cases to be included in the test plan. So primary purpose of this filter it to check how close user is to this limit or if the limit is not breached (btw: this filter already exists in the System Health Report).
    Another use case is for planing activities and mainly checking what test cases are included in the test plan - when there are many test cases included in the test plan it's not easy to navigate. To have a list of test cases (with and easy possibility to remove or regroup test cases) make live easier.
    Last use case is for various reviews or audits - the list of what was included in the test plan (and what was tested) can be easily provided to the auditors (if some test case has not been omitted).
    Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Great clarification, thank you:

Ability to filter for ALL Test Cases associated to a specified Test Plan, used or not. 

Vlada, in the meantime, have you looked at Relating each Test Case to the Test Plan? And then using the Trace View to have this level of visibility? I know it's an extra step (or two) but, might be worth it for your needs. 

Best,
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hello Chloe,
    Please provide me a guidance how to see the relationship between Test Cases and Test Runs in the trace view. I'm able to see a relation from Test Cases to Test Run and in the Test Runs I'm able to get Test Execution Plan column. But I'm not able to get Test (Execution) Plan Column to the Test Cases. See attached file.

Thank you for your guidance

Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Vlada;

Ok, so this is what I did:

1. In the Admin panel > Relationships -  I made a relationship rule from Test Plan to Test Case.

2. Then I made an Advanced Filter to give me a list view of my Test Plans:

3. Now, from the filter list view of Test Plans, I went into the Single Item View of the Test Plan I was wanting to relate the test cases to. From there I went into View > Open Relate to relate the test cases. 

4. Now I can go back to the Advanced Filter results, click on the Trace View icon and see this (I only related a couple of TC's here): 

Vlada, you can use the +Add coverage links here to relate more Test Cases to more Test Plans from this view. Please let me know if this helps.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 01-20-2020 01:11

Hello Chloe,
    Please provide me a guidance how to see the relationship between Test Cases and Test Runs in the trace view. I'm able to see a relation from Test Cases to Test Run and in the Test Runs I'm able to get Test Execution Plan column. But I'm not able to get Test (Execution) Plan Column to the Test Cases. See attached file.

Thank you for your guidance

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-17-2020 16:27

Great clarification, thank you:

Ability to filter for ALL Test Cases associated to a specified Test Plan, used or not.

Vlada, in the meantime, have you looked at Relating each Test Case to the Test Plan? And then using the Trace View to have this level of visibility? I know it's an extra step (or two) but, might be worth it for your needs.

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-17-2020 00:10

Hello Chloe,

> your official idea here is to: have the ability to filter for Test Cases used by a particular Test Plan, right?
    No. To have a filter that will list all Test Cases included in the Test Plan. (Some test cases can be included in the Test Plan but has not be used.) To have list of Test Test Cases that are really used in the Test Plan will be another good filter because it will be possible to say if all Test Cases included in the Test Plan are also used in the Test Plan.

> And your use case for this particular ask is for: troubleshooting purposes - a need to know the quantity of Test Cases used. Vlada, do you foresee any other business use cases utilizing this idea?
    No. Troubleshooting was what we did now. There it is/was of course useful. But be aware that there is a recommended limit of 4000 Test Cases to be included in the test plan. So primary purpose of this filter it to check how close user is to this limit or if the limit is not breached (btw: this filter already exists in the System Health Report).
    Another use case is for planing activities and mainly checking what test cases are included in the test plan - when there are many test cases included in the test plan it's not easy to navigate. To have a list of test cases (with and easy possibility to remove or regroup test cases) make live easier.
    Last use case is for various reviews or audits - the list of what was included in the test plan (and what was tested) can be easily provided to the auditors (if some test case has not been omitted).

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-16-2020 10:21

Vlada:

Thank you for your insights here. I want to make sure this Product Idea is categorized correctly for our Product teams to source, your official idea here is to: have the ability to filter for Test Cases used by a particular Test Plan, right?

And your use case for this particular ask is for: troubleshooting purposes - a need to know the quantity of Test Cases used. Vlada, do you foresee any other business use cases utilizing this idea?

Thank you for your insights here, very helpful and applicable to our current goals!

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-16-2020 03:43

Hello Jama,

Vlada

Original Message:
    Sent: 04-28-2015 21:26

• Vladimir Cech
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello Chloe,
    Thank you for you effort. I followed you steps but I cannot get the Trace View from the test plan. The Trace View icon is grayed out.

Also, I do not see realistic to use this approach because:
    - there are thousands (~10K) test cases in the test plan we speak about, it's not possible to easily add them as they are located across the various folders in the projects
    - user has never done it and as this is not mandatory/automatic for Test Plan and Test Cases user will not do it.
    Vlada
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Vlada,

Yes, you cannot get the Trace View from the Test Plan item itself, but you can see the Trace View Icon from the Advanced Filter List View. Take a look at step 4.

Best,
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello Chloe,
    I went back to the step 4. I'm not in the test plan, I'm in the List View that I got as a result of Advanced search. The Trace view icon is grayed out.

Vlada
  • Alex Frain
    Alex Frain Member, Data Exchange, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 29
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi Vladimir,

The only time I notice the Trace View icon grayed out when looking at filter results is when I click on "View in List" button in the Edit Filter window without saving the filter first.  Could this be the case here?
    Alex
    Fujifilm Sonosite
  • Vladimir Cech
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello Alex,

Thank you. Great. When I saved the filter the Trace View is available.

Vlada
    Vlada