Rest Api supscriptions or callbacks

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
edited July 2016 in
It would be a valuable extension to have the ability to subscribe events or activities. It should work like setting up a query for activities but would deliver the results by calling a callback as they happen. This would allow to create some real time add ons.

Comments

• Matt Walker
    edited June 2016
    Yes! My workflow needs to associate changes in requirements with tickets. I have a desire to write a plugin for my task management system where a user can open a ticket; transition items, and the ticket would automatically pick up what items were affected by the ticket (assuming a user is only working on a single ticket at a time.)
  • John Schroeder
    edited June 2016
    Harald & Matt,

I agree.  I know a lot of us are looking forward to WebHooks or something equivalent that would allow the API to notify a subscribed service or tool.  All of the developers working on/with the API here at Jama want that feature, and it's something that we talk about frequently.  I don't know what the ETA is but it's on our list of features to add.

In the meantime, an imperfect but robust solution for semi-real-time events is the activities stream as Harald mentioned.  An activity polling interval of a minute or two has virtually no impact on the application but can make extensions feel real-time to users.

If what you're looking for is an item in a certain state then clever uses of search in the abstractitems endpoint can isolate the specific items you're looking for.

In either case, I'd write any code that polls the activities/abstractitems endpoints with a focus on modularity.  That way, when we do release WebHooks you can swap strategies easily.

John