Linked Glossary

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
edited August 2016 in
Jama should have the ability to support the creation of a linked or referenced glossary.

This should work in the following ways:
- retroactive: Glossary is created or imported and then the descriptions are processed and terms containing glossary content get hyperlinked
- at creation: A term can be marked at entry as being glossary, then this term is hyperlinked and a glossary item is created

Comments

• Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Great idea, Harald! Thanks for sharing.
  • Markus Vehmanen
    edited November 2015
    Yes please. This is something we have talked about too, would be great.
  • George Butler
    edited October 2015
    Another yes please. This is one feature that we found other tools had that Jama didn't when we were evaluating. We tried implementing this manually in Jama:
    1. Create a glossary item type.
    2. Create hyperlink in requirement type description text. 
    However, as you can imagine links weren't always created & managing change was rather time consuming.
  • Kevin Mote
    edited August 2016
    Agreed. Would be VERY useful!
    Kevin

Washington River Protection Solutions (WRPS)
  • Menno V
    edited August 2015
    I would also opt for this feature too.

My addition:
    • Squiggly underline parts of text that have an occurrence in the Glossary
    • When pointing the mouse on this piece of text, a hover text box is prompted showing the description text from the glossary.
  • Tatiana Labkovitch
    edited October 2015
    Absolutely support this request! Having glossary in Jama would facilitate a lot of things! 
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Hi Katja, there is not a linked glossary functionality in the next release.
  • Knowledge Base
    edited June 2016
    Came across this post whilst searching for a Jama solution for the same idea. Would like to add my vote (Jama democracy assumed) to this feature request. And also any hint as to whether this idea is already in the roadmap, since it has been 4 months from the last post?
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    This is not currently on the road map, Daniel. There are other features and functions with a higher priority. But you're right, democracy-assumed, we should hopefully see this at some point given the number of votes it has.
  • Scott Holland
    edited July 2016
    Yes please - we're doing this manually at the moment with a "term" item type. But it's a bit of a pain to manage
  • Juande Santander-Vela
    edited July 2016
    What is the likelihood of this being implemented ever? And what is the official way of requesting features?
  • Kristina King
    edited July 2016
    Ever is a question I can't really answer. In the near future, I can tell you it's unlikely–it is not on the roadmap right now. 

And Juande, you have found the official way to request features. I don't know if you've seen my post about how we use these Ideas, but it will give you a better idea about what we do with your requests.
  • Stuart Gros-Dubois
    edited January 2018
    Hello,
    another +1 for this feature, and a 2018 bump.
    BR
    Stuart
    Ps. Any news if this new feature made it to the roadmap?

------------------------------
    Stuart Gros-Dubois
    Frequentis AG
    ------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 05-19-2015 07:56
    Subject: Linked Glossary

Jama should have the ability to support the creation of a linked or referenced glossary.

This should work in the following ways:
    - retroactive: Glossary is created or imported and then the descriptions are processed and terms containing glossary content get hyperlinked
    - at creation: A term can be marked at entry as being glossary, then this term is hyperlinked and a glossary item is created
  • Hi @Stuart, there are no updates to share on this one-nothing has been put on the roadmap pertinent to this idea.
  • Gary Stephenson
    edited May 2019
    I'd like to add a +1 to this and give it a 2019 bump. A linked glossary is a pretty basic feature for a requirements management tool and I feel a bit underwhelmed that this isn't a standard feature by now.
  • Patricia Stauffer
    edited May 2019
    Another bump from us! This would be very helpful
    Patricia

BioFire Diagnostics
  • Alessandro Valli
    edited May 2019
    +1 also from my side.
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG
  • Millaray Sandoval
    edited June 2019
    So, this feature was out of scope for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Is there any chance of getting a solution in the second half of 2019?
  • Lien Bäcker
    edited June 2019
    + 1 Vote from us also for this Feature.
  • Nicki Repici
    edited June 2019
    Another vote from us!
  • Chloe Elliott
    Chloe Elliott Product Team
    edited June 2019
    Hello everyone,

Sounds like there is a lot of consensus on the usefulness of this request. What are your current workarounds for this task/workflow?

Best,
  • Alessandro Valli
    edited June 2019
    Hi Chloe,

My workaround is a separate project with only glossary items -> Item type "Glossary".
    I sync/reuse the items in my projects where needed.
    In each project I use the synced glossary terms in the requirement text (Field Description) just as hyperlinks (add link in the rich text editor).

It would be great to have something like a hover function (mouse pointing on glossary item => text box with glossary item description) with the option to open the glossary item in a separate tab (just to see the additional custom fields: source, synonym, some categorization … and the links).

Regards,
    Alessandro
    Systems Engineer
    SICK AG
  • Chloe Elliott
    Chloe Elliott Product Team
    edited June 2019
    Alessandro:

Ohhh yeah, I personally love a good hover - so easy for quickly accessing information without having to leave your main workflow!

Thank you for sharing your workaround, it is very similar to what I was going to share about having a Glossary component within a project and/or a Glossary project. 

Best,
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited June 2019
    We have something based on Excel, round trip exports/imports, but this is quite simple and can be applied only once.
  • Millaray Sandoval
    edited July 2019
    Another possibility is having a separated central glossary and allow relationships to certain items. The glossary terms related to an item appear during a Review, but you have to click to view the definition.