Product Idea

Expand all | Collapse all

Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

• 1.  Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 03-17-2016 17:04
    Feature Request
    Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Use Case
    Project team approves an item in a project. Item becomes 'System Locked' as defined by the workflow transition into an 'Approved' state. Some time later, a project team member would like to update a particular field on the item. This field is used to reflect the a validation, implementation, or verification state of the item and is not critical to the definition of the item.

Problem Statement
    System Lock rigidly applies to all fields in an item type.  (Good in most use cases, but not all)

Implementation Idea
    Add a column to the Item Type Fields after 'Sync' called 'Lock'. For all fields that have a 'Lock' enabled, those become locked when 'System Lock' is applied. All fields without 'Lock' enabled will be editable when 'System Lock' is applied.  By Default, the 'Lock' is checked.

• 2.  Re: Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 03-17-2016 19:48
    Thanks for bringing this up, Tom. It's interesting that you do, because we have definitely had plenty of debates here at Jama about what "locked" really means—does it mean just no edits? Does it mean relationships cannot be made? Ultimately we wouldn't have to answer that question if we left it to you ;)

• 3.  Re: Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 07-25-2016 11:55
    I also grappled with the same question, what does "lock" mean? For example, even when an item is "locked" it can still be moved to another folder.

• 4.  Re: Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 07-26-2016 13:55
    In this case, I would say that Locking really only means no one can edit it (save for the one who locked it or an admin). Moving items in the hierarchy is not considered an edit—it isn't tracked in versioning history. But overall, Victor, I agree that it's a question that begs grappling!

• 5.  RE: Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 08-17-2018 13:10
    I have a similar instance for a need of this feature request. We use Jama to Jira via tasktop. After an item in Jama in a "Released" state has been pushed to Jira via Tasktop and then the item is updated from Jira, Jama does not pick up the changes made in Jira and Tasktop shows an error. This is because the Jama item is locked by the workflow. We would like to be able to use the "Released" status in our workflow while also seeing the changes synced across our applications when the change is made in Jira without incurring any errors.

------------------------------
    Sachin Shah

• 6.  RE: Feature request: Ability for administrators to configure which fields in an item type are unmodifiable when System Lock is applied

Posted 08-20-2018 09:47
    We have just started using Jama, but all of the use cases mentioned in this thread are similar to our processes. I expect we will want to define the fields that remain editable when an item is locked via workflow.

Thanks,

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States