Batch Delete of Tags like batch update of Tags

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in

Team,

Currently we have a option to do a batch update to the tags. But there is no possibility to perform the batch delete for tags.

We see that through Project > Configure Project > Tag Management we can directly delete or edit items but there is no possibility to remove this tag for some of the items.

This is becoming tedious. I think this would be a good idea, if implemented.

Thanks and Regards,

Praveen Paluri

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Praveen, can I inquire the reasons why batch tag deletion is needed? In my own use of Jama, it seems once an item is tagged with something, that tag would always apply. For what reason would you need to remove a tag from multiple items at once? Thanks for any context you can provide!
  • Ryan Dill
    Ryan Dill Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We've found that tags can be useful for other situations, like transient categorization of multiple items. Trying to remove that categorization after the fact is made more annoying by the lack of bulk removal.

For example, when importing data from other requirements management systems into Jama, the old tool's requirement data model may not perfectly align with the model which is being used in Jama for the future, so any imported data may need to be "massaged" in an interim data format before being converted into the Jama data format which will be used thereafter.

Tags can be quite useful in a situation like this when trying to keep track of which items you've fully "massaged", and which of them still require further work before being considered fully imported / cleaned / converted.

By not having bulk delete of tags, we're forced to go through tag management and delete the tag entirely every time we're done importing a new set of requirements from DOORS -- only to ADD the tag again when we import our *next* set of requirements.
    Ryan Dill
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your use case—it makes a lot of sense.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 161
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This request comes up several times in my company. I'll officially request our IT to make an enhancement request with Jama. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Virginia, thanks for the follow-up.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Harald and @Shawnna, I admire two you to be the king and empress of Velocity. I assume theoretically it's possible to delete tags from in-context items using a Velocity template. If anyone can do it, I'm sure one of you can do it. What are your thoughts? Prior to Jama officially enhance Jama to allow batch deletion of a particular tags, is it possible to do with with Velocity? from your admiring fan, swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Virginia, I'll check in on this and let you know. The last road map I saw did not have any mention of this, but on the other hand, they often aren't that granular.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Virginia, I checked in with our Product team and the request is something they are aware of. However, they are still exploring ways to handle this, so there is no timeline for when the behavior will change.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi, it is quite simple, we have reused items from an old project and tags were copied along. Those tag has no meaning in the new project and they creating a lot of confusion in the new context.
    It would do it one by one but the web app is terribly slow and it would take me all day :-(
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I understand, Petr. Thanks for sharing some context.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'd also like to see batch deletion of tags, as well as more information about the existing tags on an item when you're editing it.

We have run into situations where we have added tags to a large number of items, but suddenly need to remove them, which is an excruciating & time consuming process. Batch removal of tags would solve this problem.

Users (including me) find it confusing that existing tags for an item are not shown when in the ‘Edit Item’ window. There is only an ‘Add Tags’ box here, and no way to see what tags are already there.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I completely agree with you on the batch deletion of tags being necessary.

Interesting you mention the lack of visibility in the Edit Item window. In our hosted deployment we have a new "single item view" which allows editing of fields to be done while the tags themselves are visible, as they have moved out of the tabbed bottom and are below the rest of the item fields: 

This should come to our on-premises environment at some point this year.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 160
    edited February 2016
    Options
    YES! This this this! Exactly what I was envisioning. Looking forward to the on-premisis release.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey Virginia,

I wouldn't quite call it forgotten, as it was never on the road map as a sure thing. We are working on categorization, though, and I think that's how we envisioned your request working its way in. That work is still in preliminary stages, though, so I can't say if batch deleting tags will make it in as the original request calls for.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A project admin can delete the tag to completely un tag all the items.
  • vm Mousavi
    vm Mousavi Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I agree. We use tags for situations such as temporarily identifying test cases that need to be run for a particular project. Once we are done with that project, we need to remove those tags but there is no easy way to do this. I guess one way to accomplish this is by using tags that are truly temporary and delete them from the Admin center, but that leaves us with an all or nothing option.

For some projects we need to tag hundreds of test cases to be run and depending on an environment, we change the set. Right now, we have to remove the tags from each item one at a time or use custom fields that can be easily edited in list views.
    vm

QA Supervisor
    TaxAudit.com
    California