Update existing baseline item to specific version

Options
Pete Myron
Pete Myron Member Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in
I should be able to edit an item in an existing baseline and select the specific version I want. This is similar to https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/make-a-baseline-of-older-versions. This would allow admins to avoid saying silly things like, "don't make any changes while I do some stuff..." and cherry-pick the exact requirements that are needed.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Pete, another clarification: is this needed because users make changes to items when they shouldn't be? E.g. items are seen as complete, so a baseline is made, but in reality the items aren't really complete at time of baseline? We view baselines as a matter of record, so there hasn't been much talk of adding the ability to change versions. So, I'm curious about the circumstances where a baselined version isn't the final one. Thanks!
  • Pete Myron
    Pete Myron Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    Options
    we have thousands of requirements in a particular project, authored by 20+ people, each with their own section (it's setup this way for some other processes). It happens that many requirements are being modified at any given time and some are ready while others are not. Periodically, changes are made that are urgent/important, and those need to be "backdated" to an earlier baseline.

For a baseline to be set in stone, you need perfect, shiny, unwavering processes--something that is very difficult when this many people are involved (also we just switched to Jama from a dinosaur product this year).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 911
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good point. It's always us humans that complicate things ;) Thanks for the clarification.
  • Kevin Mote
    Kevin Mote Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a similar concern (originally described here, but copied to this post as requested).
    I create a baseline; say, version 1.0.
    Some time passes and then I find an error in the requirements (in, say, section 1), so I fix the error and need to create a new baseline. HOWEVER, in the meantime, other work has been done in the project towards version 1.1 (in, say, section 2).
    So now, I want to create a new baseline containing the fix from section 1, but NOT the new stuff from section 2. In other words, I want to create a new baseline containing everything that was in 1.0, along with the fix, but to omit the new stuff that will eventually be placed in 1.1 but is not ready yet.
    Here are two possible ways I can imagine of getting what we need:
    1. UPDATE the original baseline (1.0) by appending the fixed information from section 1.
    2. Create a NEW baseline consisting of the current state of the project, but using the PREVIOUS version of Section 2.
      Unfortunately, I don't think either of these ways are supported. Can you suggest a different way?
    Kevin

Washington River Protection Solutions (WRPS)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for copying this over, Kevin!  It helps us to consider these feature requests more clearly when we can view all of the requests in a single place :)