Should be able to nest Filters

[Deleted User]
edited November 2016 in
Hi Folks,

I'm a bit surprised (and not pleasantly so) by the very limited 'filter nesting' functionality in Jama.

I've previously been a Cradle user and found that the ability to nest queries was a fantastic feature. (It allowed me to write nested queries that were complex enough that I didn't mind not being able to write them in SQL.)

As far as I can see, in Jama a Filter can have only one "level of nesting." That is, when creating a filter and using a search term such as "Has upstream items," I can created an Embedded Filter. BUT that's it - I can't go on to embed a further filter inside the first embedded filter.

Worse still, the set of search terms for the embedded filter doesn't include "Has upstream items" or other similar terms. This put pretty severe limitations on my ability write a complex query (or 'filter' in Jama-speak).

What I'd like to be able to do would be:
1) When I'm using a search term that leads to "that match this filter" being displayed, I'd like to be able to choose a "regular" (as opposed to embedded) filter that I'd created earlier. That is, I'd like to be able to nest a "top level" filter inside another "top level" filter.

2) And I'd like to be able to iterate this process several times. That is, create and save 'Filter A' then nest that inside Filter B then nest Filter B inside Filter C and so on.

I'm hoping that this idea makes sense - does it??

Cheers,
Ian

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Hi Ian,

Yes, this need/want makes complete sense. I was just stymied by this nesting limitation when I was trying to export a bug list with many relationship conditions. I'm surprised this hasn't come up more before, though—I just took a look through other filtering Ideas and you're the first to suggest this. (Although others have suggested in the past more super-user filtering similar to SQL query.) I really don't know what the next phase is for the advanced filters in Jama, but I hope this is something we can work on. 
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited June 2016
    This was already a topic in the old Forum.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Yes, you're right. (I just looked in here for one to merge it with.)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2016
    Ian, I can see how you were surprised and frustrated with lack of nesting, I feel the need to create multi-level filters several times in the past year, a very tedious workaround is to do a two level search and then tag the results with a temporary tag, then search those tagged items and then search again. Very tedious. Hopefully Jama might consider improvements in this area. Good luck. Swoo
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Ouch. That's a good workaround, but you are right—that is very tedious. I'd love to have nested filters.
  • Jessica Monk
    edited November 2016
    I would second Ian's sentiment. Even the ability to go "upstream" once and then "upstream" once again from that would be fantastic.

In our case we are using filters to determine which test cases should be included in each test plan based on upstream requirements and further upstream product variants. It would be nice to be able to filter upstream twice to get to results based on information from that higher level as well.
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited October 2016
    We have the same use case.
  • Benjamin Redington
    edited October 2016
    I often need to use multiple single embedded filters to capture items I could get with just one if I could embed more than one level.  Even one more layer would be a huge improvement.
  • Well, it's been I while since I last howled about nested filters so I guess it's time ...
    This really is at the top of my enhancement wish list and I'd love to know if there has been any progress on getting some action on this feature.
    The particular use case that was frustrating me today was trying to build a Test Plan. I wanted to be able to use a filter to "show me the Test Cases that have upstream relationships to the System Requirements that are located in folder x"
    I'm trying to bring some more people - testers - into the 'Jama fold' and this is causing me some issues with this.
    A minor (?) improvement that might be possible without too much effort would be to address the use case I mentioned above. That is, for the existing embedded filter, expand the list of matching criteria to include Location.
  • Hi Ian,
    Currently Jama does not have plans on the roadmap to make changes to the filters. Sorry for the frustrations you are dealing with.
    Dana Medhaug
    Technical Support Engineer
    Jama Software
    Portland Oregon
  • I also have a similar use case - I have stories -> functional requirements -> test cases.  The delivery team works based on stories and my testers want a filter to show stories that have functional requirements, which do not yet have test cases.

The best I can do is filter to a list of functional requirements that have upstream stories but no downstream test cases.  But Id prefer to show the stories.
  • Another +1 on this request
  • Hi Again,

Obviously, I'm not alone in being frustrated by the deficiencies of embedded filters. Sadly, the feedback I've received is that there are no plans to improve them.

So, as a partial solution, I've got a suggestion for what I THINK would be a very limited enhancement: to include "Location" in the available match criteria.

My use-case for this is that I want to be able to use a filter to show me a filtered selection of Test Cases when I'm building a Test Plan: "Show me only those Test Cases that have have upstream items that match this embedded filter: Product Requirements that are under this Location."

In the absence of comprehensive improvement of embedded filters, this incremental improvement would be very welcome.

Thanks,
  • Justin Sterkel
    edited May 2018
    We are already finding this limiting.  I think it will be become a much larger issue as our users become more advanced.

I would really like to see this improvement.
  • Matt Hawkins
    edited January 2019
    Nested filters would be much more useful than my other suggestion of just Adding Location to the embed filters.  Some of the earlier work arounds like using temporary tags don't play nicely with workflows where tags are locked in certain states.  Plus it is messy and difficult to repeat.
    Matt

RBC Medical Innovations
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2019
    Hi,
    Same concern:

As a filter creator, I would like to define a Filter as combinations of other Filters, so that
    - I don't need to retype each filter criteria
    - I get build-in consistency.
  • Chris Freitag
    edited July 2022
    Another +1 for nested filters.
  • Heba Mustufa
    edited September 2023

+1 for nested filters

------------------------------
    Heba Mustufa
    CA
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 06-27-2016 01:50
    Subject: Should be able to nest Filters

Hi Folks,

I'm a bit surprised (and not pleasantly so) by the very limited 'filter nesting' functionality in Jama.

I've previously been a Cradle user and found that the ability to nest queries was a fantastic feature. (It allowed me to write nested queries that were complex enough that I didn't mind not being able to write them in SQL.)

As far as I can see, in Jama a Filter can have only one "level of nesting." That is, when creating a filter and using a search term such as "Has upstream items," I can created an Embedded Filter. BUT that's it - I can't go on to embed a further filter inside the first embedded filter.

Worse still, the set of search terms for the embedded filter doesn't include "Has upstream items" or other similar terms. This put pretty severe limitations on my ability write a complex query (or 'filter' in Jama-speak).

1) When I'm using a search term that leads to "that match this filter" being displayed, I'd like to be able to choose a "regular" (as opposed to embedded) filter that I'd created earlier. That is, I'd like to be able to nest a "top level" filter inside another "top level" filter.

2) And I'd like to be able to iterate this process several times. That is, create and save 'Filter A' then nest that inside Filter B then nest Filter B inside Filter C and so on.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • Chris Freitag
    edited September 2023

I agree, nested filters would be very helpful, particularly for tracing more than one relationship step away from an item.

Many other database tools have a "query builder", some even allow you to switch from a graphical builder to a raw query language.  Reference capabilities in Aras Innovator, Jira, Agile PLM, ... .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Freitag

Manager, Hardware Engineering

MKS Instruments, Inc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message and any attachments are intended only for the designated recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information and be subject to the attorney-client privilege or other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, use, copy or distribute this message or any attachments. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original and any copies of this message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

Original Message:
    Sent: 9/14/2023 12:22:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Should be able to nest Filters

+1 for nested filters

Heba Mustufa
    CA
    Original Message:
    Sent: 06-27-2016 01:50
    Subject: Should be able to nest Filters

Hi Folks,

Cheers,
    Ian