Need to import items with Tags using Word or Excel document

Knowledge Base
edited September 2016 in
Hi Team,

I would like to know how to import the requirements with tags in items. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Senthil Gopi

Comments

• Sebastian Theiß
    edited July 2015
    Crazy!! I have the same issue at the moment. I have reserved some time for today to check the community and write a new feature request regarding this issue.

We are using an Excel list to handle a list of test cases. I would like to import this list to have the test cases in JAMA. However, I need some filter options and Tags would be the best solution. A workaround I'm using at the moment is to use a text field where all "tags" are listed. But I have to create filters for every single tag to get the same functionality as the "real" Tags in JAMA.

There is also another discussion in this community dealing with this issue:
    https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/exporting-tags-to-excel-4mqy0apxwdmxq?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

However, I really need the import from our Excel list due to the fact that this list has some more macro based functionalities which cannot be ported to JAMA.

Best regards,
    Sebastian
  • swoo Woo
    edited September 2016
    Hi Senthil, I agree with Sebastian. This should be a good enhancement request for Jama to consider importing, exporting, and enabling Excel Roundtrip of tag to make tag management even more useful and usable. swoo
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to change this post to an Idea, Senthil. As Sebastian and Swoo pointed out they think your idea is good but is not currently possible in Jama. At this point tags are item metadata so they can't be directly imported like other values into fields. Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    edited September 2015
    I use the following workaround, based on the concept shown in https://community.jamasoftware.com/jama/topics/bulk-relationship-creation-based-on-a-filter.

Prepare a column in this excel with a formula using the concatenate function creating content fullfilling the following pattern: "name:"Login Test", or "string1:TCS001" or whatever is the key in a field, the proper name you can lookup in the ADMIN itemtype config.
    • After import, filter the content in the excel based on the tag to be set.
    • copy the column with selective key information
    • paste that into the fulltext search field
    • start the seach
    • do a bulk update setting the desired tag
    The preparation step with the excel formula can be avoided, when the key is selective enough and not used inside the text somewhere else. The found rows must match with the numer of rows in excel.

regards
    Harald
  • Knowledge Base
    edited July 2015
    Hi Sebastian and Swoo thanks for sharing your thoughts, 

Hi Kris. Thank you for your endless support. I/ We think you Jama guys will make it happen in future release.

Hi Harald.. thanks for sharing this information its greatly helpful.

Even I have found some other method for tagging the items in requirements.

Best Regards,
    Senthil G
  • Dan Scott
    edited June 2016
    I concatenate the desire tags into the field I'm going to use for the description import. I can then Filter on description looking for my tags and then create the JAMA tags from that selection.. or not bother to create the tags and just filter on description. (arguably you get a pseudo full text search capability if you concatenate ALL of your fields into the description )
  • Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for sharing that workaround...you are full of ingenious Excel ideas, Dan!
  • Dan Scott
    edited July 2015

Thanks!  Im just ramping on Jama and depend on this community every single day!  I can only hope to give some back!    any chance you know the secret magic to get text to import so that line breaks show up correctly in BOTH list and document view?  That would make me a hero to my org.

• Kristina King
    edited June 2016
    Boy, Dan, I wish I could hand you that Power Sword! Unfortunately I don't know of a way to assure anything—there are inconsistencies in the HTML rendering, so your issue might be unavoidable. What version are you on? And is all of this importing from Excel?
  • Totally in favor of this Excel Roundtrip feature of tags.

Jama does not have a history, to create statistical reports in excel (e.g. increase of certain tags over time ..). You need to export certain Containers including tags regularly. Using Rest API this is quite cumbersome.

Why are not use multi pick lists instead?

The main reason is usability. Tags are easier to use, quicker to extend without the need of an admin. Also tags are per project and not global as for example a pick list.
    When trying to keep the number of items types to a minimum to be able to manage them using tags is an excellent way.
    Modifying the picklist of an item type has global impact on all other teams. Tags enable teams to manage their items (in their projects) without impacting any Jama Projects

-------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-02-2015 11:36
    Subject: Re: Need to import items with Tags using Word or Excel document

Hi Senthil, I agree with Sebastian. This should be a good enhancement request for Jama to consider importing, exporting, and enabling Excel Roundtrip of tag to make tag management even more useful and usable. swoo