Product Idea

Expand all | Collapse all

Create multiple test cases for multiple configurations

• 1.  Create multiple test cases for multiple configurations

Posted 10-03-2019 10:22
    It would reduce time in copy and edit of test cases if we could create a single test case but have that test used to create multiple test cases that vary by a configuration variable.  For example, if I need to run the same test case on multiple browsers or mobile devices:
    • I would create a single test, and using a tag or other identifier for the browser (#browser). 
    • Then I could select the browsers to be tested. 
    • Jama would create the number of test cases necessary and it would replace the identifier in the test cases with the name of the specific browser to test.

------------------------------
    Brian Moran

• 2.  RE: Create multiple test cases for multiple configurations

Posted 10-05-2019 13:20

Hi Brian,

we have a concept for this (not deployed beyond d a few test cases though). 

We create a 'master' set of TC then reuse and synchronize them for the different deployments. Updates are made in the 'master' set and sync'd across as needed. Your 'browser tag' probably should be a field in the item type that's not synchronized so it can be maintained in each copy without showing 'out of sync'. 

We then use the sync copy in test plans etc. I.e. there are never any test runs associated with the 'master' TC. 

Sven Schmidberger
    Irdeto

• 3.  RE: Create multiple test cases for multiple configurations

Posted 10-07-2019 14:10
    We are planning to use a similar strategy.
    @Sven - We encountered one issue with it, and I wonder ​if you have any ideas. If the "browser tag" is in a custom field the value won't get copied over to any test runs created for this test case. How would the tester know which browser (in this scenario) to use for a specific test run? Do they need to refer to the source test case for that?
    We are planning to put some configuration details like this in the Name and/or Description (and unsync those fields) so the information is automatically copied to the test run. The Name and Description could become quite overloaded with information so we will continue to look for a better solution.
    Thanks,

Theresa
    Fujifilm SonoSite
    WA United States

• 4.  RE: Create multiple test cases for multiple configurations

Posted 10-07-2019 21:11
    Hello Theresa,

I agree the limitation with the fields visible during test run execution is less then idea, and I hope the feature request for that will be implemented soon.
    We have used the set-key of the TC to convey config information to testers, it's not ideal but at least visible in the test execution screen or manual testing.

Sven Schmidberger
    Irdeto