Create filters using the REST API

Options
Alexander Sigler
Alexander Sigler Member Posts: 1
edited July 2019 in
Hi,

Currently in our system we have a lot of external filtering on items obtained in JAMA. My only issue now is that after I filter the items, how do I get it back into JAMA?

I have currently been GET on a JAMA filter, pulling all of the items in that filter, filtering them out externally, and then I have an excel document with the filtered items. What I would like to do would be to create a filter in JAMA with the filtered items instead of resorting to an excel document. 

I am proposing that we can add a POST operation for filters so that we can create them using the REST API.

Comments

• Franco Lombardini
    Franco Lombardini Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I think this feature is a MUST and should be added as soon as possible.

------------------------------
    Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 07-31-2019 09:11
    Subject: Create filters using the REST API

Hi,

Currently in our system we have a lot of external filtering on items obtained in JAMA. My only issue now is that after I filter the items, how do I get it back into JAMA?

I have currently been GET on a JAMA filter, pulling all of the items in that filter, filtering them out externally, and then I have an excel document with the filtered items. What I would like to do would be to create a filter in JAMA with the filtered items instead of resorting to an excel document. 

I am proposing that we can add a POST operation for filters so that we can create them using the REST API.
  • Geoffrey Clemm
    Geoffrey Clemm Jama Staff, Data Exchange, Automotive Solution, Medical Devices & Life Sciences Solution, Robotics Solution, Airborne Systems, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI), Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 108
    edited November 2022
    Options
    A couple of questions:
    - Why are you doing the filtering externally rather than using Jama filters?
    - When you say "get it back into Jama", do you mean "create a filter in Jama that selects exactly that list of items"?   

If that is what you meant, then note that your are asking for a new kind of filter, namely one that selects an specific list of items (not supported today).    As a workaround, you could create a tag for that external filter, and then use the REST API to set that tag on the list of items selected by that external filter.   Then you could use a Jama filter that selects items with that tag to see the same list of items selected by your external filter.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:

Hi,

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Franco Lombardini
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi Geoffrey,

In my scenario I'm trying to optimize the response time of my application which the bottleneck is the requests to the Jama API.

I need to obtain all items that live under a certain item (let's call it item Z) but the only two options I have are either getting all Jama items and then filtering the ones living under item Z locally or getting the children recursively which takes a lot of request and therefore time.

What I need (and it seems like the OP does too) is being able to create a filter and post it to Jama via the API filters endpoints. Then I can use that filter to get all these items through a single request.

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:
    Sent: 11/5/2022 11:14:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Create filters using the REST API

A couple of questions:
    - When you say "get it back into Jama", do you mean "create a filter in Jama that selects exactly that list of items"?   

If that is what you meant, then note that your are asking for a new kind of filter, namely one that selects an specific list of items (not supported today).    As a workaround, you could create a tag for that external filter, and then use the REST API to set that tag on the list of items selected by that external filter.   Then you could use a Jama filter that selects items with that tag to see the same list of items selected by your external filter.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:

Hi,

• Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi Franco,

are you looking for the ability to use a filter (or the result set of a filter) like a subprogram in another filter?

regards
    Harald

Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Frequentis AG
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-05-2022 08:47

Hi Geoffrey,

In my scenario I'm trying to optimize the response time of my application which the bottleneck is the requests to the Jama API.

I need to obtain all items that live under a certain item (let's call it item Z) but the only two options I have are either getting all Jama items and then filtering the ones living under item Z locally or getting the children recursively which takes a lot of request and therefore time.

What I need (and it seems like the OP does too) is being able to create a filter and post it to Jama via the API filters endpoints. Then I can use that filter to get all these items through a single request.

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Geoffrey Clemm
    Geoffrey Clemm Jama Staff, Data Exchange, Automotive Solution, Medical Devices & Life Sciences Solution, Robotics Solution, Airborne Systems, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI), Jama Validation Kit (JVK) + Functional Safety Kit (FSK) Posts: 108
    edited November 2022
    Options
    That clarifies what you are looking for.   If you submit an Ideation request on this, I'd suggest identifying this specific use case, i.e. retrieving all items that are in the tree rooted at a given item.   That is likely to be easier to implement and a more efficient way of retrieving this information than a generic "create filter" API call.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Jan Kastning
    Jan Kastning Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Franco Lombardini I suspect you mean relationships and not location when refering to "living under" or "getting the children": You could manually save a filter which gives back all items on all levels which have direct or indirect upstreams to the root item you are searching for. To not having to change the filter query programatically (which is not really possible anyways) you can add a unique tag to the root item and still use the "static" filter query with the tag representing the root item. As tags are not part of the item versioning you wouldn't even alter the root item, but you need write permission on the root item though. After getting the filter results you then can remove the tag from the root item.
    If you want to provide a jama link for the filter you could generate a filter preview query with the actual root item ID instead of the tag which the user then can save for him-/herself.

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer
    Panasonic Industrial Devices Europe GmbH
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-05-2022 23:21

That clarifies what you are looking for.   If you submit an Ideation request on this, I'd suggest identifying this specific use case, i.e. retrieving all items that are in the tree rooted at a given item.   That is likely to be easier to implement and a more efficient way of retrieving this information than a generic "create filter" API call.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Geoffrey Clemm
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I would normally interpret "under" or "children" to refer to the location hierarchy, and not relationships, but Franco can clarify which he meant.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-06-2022 14:10

@Franco Lombardini I suspect you mean relationships and not location when refering to "living under" or "getting the children": You could manually save a filter which gives back all items on all levels which have direct or indirect upstreams to the root item you are searching for. To not having to change the filter query programatically (which is not really possible anyways) you can add a unique tag to the root item and still use the "static" filter query with the tag representing the root item. As tags are not part of the item versioning you wouldn't even alter the root item, but you need write permission on the root item though. After getting the filter results you then can remove the tag from the root item.
    If you want to provide a jama link for the filter you could generate a filter preview query with the actual root item ID instead of the tag which the user then can save for him-/herself.

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,

Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Franco Lombardini
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I was indeed referring to location inside the hierarchy and not items relationship.

I've been able to generate this filter without any issues using the GUI but the idea is not to make users define this filter for each project when it could be easily generated through code using the API.

I'll submit the ideation request, maybe it's a better idea to add this "get items living under X" to the /items endpoint than using filters but I'm sure we'll discuss that there.

Thanks for your help

Original Message:
    Sent: 11/6/2022 6:01:00 PM

I would normally interpret "under" or "children" to refer to the location hierarchy, and not relationships, but Franco can clarify which he meant.

Creating a filter for all children under a specified location is easy, but it sounds like you are saying that you can define a filter that "gives back all items on all levels which have direct or indirect upstreams to the root item you are searching for".   If so, how would such a filter be defined (i.e. what rules would you use)?

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Geoffrey Clemm
    edited November 2022
    Options
    To be clear, I am a strong supporter of both the explicit API call to retrieve all items in the tree rooted at a particular item, as well as the ability to create filters via the API.   The reason I support both is that there is a bunch of overhead associated with creating a filter, which isn't needed if you just want to download that tree of items as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-06-2022 17:18

I was indeed referring to location inside the hierarchy and not items relationship.

I've been able to generate this filter without any issues using the GUI but the idea is not to make users define this filter for each project when it could be easily generated through code using the API.

I'll submit the ideation request, maybe it's a better idea to add this "get items living under X" to the /items endpoint than using filters but I'm sure we'll discuss that there.

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Creating a filter for all children under a specified location is easy, but it sounds like you are saying that you can define a filter that "gives back all items on all levels which have direct or indirect upstreams to the root item you are searching for".   If so, how would such a filter be defined (i.e. what rules would you use)?

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,

Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Franco Lombardini
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I agree Geoffrey, both things are clearly needed but to fix this particular problem the cleanest solution is to offer an efficient way to retrieve items from Jama based on their hierarchy, especially when this tool is often used on big projects containing a huge number of items.

Then there're a million scenarios where filters are needed and therefore a million reasons to support that too!

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-06-2022 17:26

To be clear, I am a strong supporter of both the explicit API call to retrieve all items in the tree rooted at a particular item, as well as the ability to create filters via the API.   The reason I support both is that there is a bunch of overhead associated with creating a filter, which isn't needed if you just want to download that tree of items as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Jan Kastning
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Franco Lombardini Ah okay, I was not aware that the GET items/{id}/children endpoint is not capable of doing that already, maybe this could be extended by an optional parameter to include all children not only the direct ones. Definetly a +1 from my side. You could still generate a filter preview url, at least you can then provide a filter view in Jama. Although, the filter still has to be saved manually.

@Geoffrey Clemm "If so, how would such a filter be defined (i.e. what rules would you use)?": I would create a filter which basically looks like this:
    • ALL ITEMTYPES having TAG = "#UNIQUETAG#" or having upstreams to item of
        => repeat as often as how many layer to be checked
        • ALL ITEMTYPES having TAG = "#UNIQUETAG#"
    Performance is pretty okay in our Jama: ~10 seconds for checking 8 layers of upstreams (maximum possible in the used project) and having ~1,000 filter results over 6 layers in my example. I added the tag to an item in the 3rd layer as I do not have write access to the two top layers.

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-06-2022 17:33

I agree Geoffrey, both things are clearly needed but to fix this particular problem the cleanest solution is to offer an efficient way to retrieve items from Jama based on their hierarchy, especially when this tool is often used on big projects containing a huge number of items.

Then there're a million scenarios where filters are needed and therefore a million reasons to support that too!

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,

Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Franco Lombardini
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I've generated an Ideation request for this topic, you can check it out here: Idea Details - Jama Software Community

If you could add your thoughts in the post I would highly appreciate it!

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-07-2022 03:03

@Franco Lombardini Ah okay, I was not aware that the GET items/{id}/children endpoint is not capable of doing that already, maybe this could be extended by an optional parameter to include all children not only the direct ones. Definetly a +1 from my side. You could still generate a filter preview url, at least you can then provide a filter view in Jama. Although, the filter still has to be saved manually.

@Geoffrey Clemm "If so, how would such a filter be defined (i.e. what rules would you use)?": I would create a filter which basically looks like this:
    Performance is pretty okay in our Jama: ~10 seconds for checking 8 layers of upstreams (maximum possible in the used project) and having ~1,000 filter results over 6 layers in my example. I added the tag to an item in the 3rd layer as I do not have write access to the two top layers.

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

• Geoffrey Clemm
    edited November 2022
    Options
    For anyone wondering how to create this kind of multiple-level nested filter, see:  < https://community.jamasoftware.com/discussion/workaround-filter-on-locationrelease-in-embedded-filters-and-have-multi-level-embedded-filters >
    As indicated in that post, you cannot use the Jama GUI to create this kind of filter.
    Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
    Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,

Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software
  • Jan Kastning
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The multi-level nested filters are actually another reason to add the filter POST endpoint. Then one could update the filter rules, which is not possible right now even with the workaround.
    Please reconsider adding the endpoint and adding multi-level filters, especially since the Jama backend already can do that.

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer
    Original Message:
    Sent: 11-07-2022 09:37

For anyone wondering how to create this kind of multiple-level nested filter, see:  < https://community.jamasoftware.com/discussion/workaround-filter-on-locationrelease-in-embedded-filters-and-have-multi-level-embedded-filters >
    As indicated in that post, you cannot use the Jama GUI to create this kind of filter.
    Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Franco Lombardini
    Monolithic Power Systems

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Thanks for your help

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Jan Kastning
    System Engineer

Original Message:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you,
    Franco

Original Message:

A couple of questions:

Geoffrey Clemm
    Jama Software

Original Message:

Hi,