TestCase documentKey in TestRun-View

Options
D
D Member Posts: 10
edited October 2019 in
Hi there,

we got some useability issue in Jama.

Let's move to the Test Management section.
Here we are creating some Test Plans.
Switch to the "Test Cases" section where it is possible to add Testcases to Groups.
Here we receive a list of Testcases with there "doucmentKey" and the matching "name" of the Testcases.
Now we are creating a new Cycle.
Switching to the "Test Runs" view.
Here we see a list full of Test Runs. Each Test Run have its own "doucmentKey" that is listed in the column "ID".
We are adding the column "Test Case" to identify which TestCase was used to derive the TestRun.
Here we come to our problem:
It would be a great feature to see also the "documentKey" of the TestCase and not only the name of the TestCase in this view

Jama Version:
Jama Connect 8.25.3

Greetings!

------------------------------
D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Product Team Posts: 375
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hello D:

Sorry for the delay, I was playing around with this for a little bit. I found the most success with adding the Test Case ID information directly in the Description field (of the Test Case itself) and then configuring the Test Run View to include the "Description" field (this will pull the description field of the Test Case the Test Run derives from). And this is the result: 
    Would this work for your needs? I did not make these into links back to the test case for this example but, it is very possible to do this using the link functionality within the RTE.

D, let me know if you have any questions,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 10-23-2019 06:54
    Subject: TestCase documentKey in TestRun-View

Hi there,

we got some useability issue in Jama.

Let's move to the Test Management section.
    Here we are creating some Test Plans.
    Switch to the "Test Cases" section where it is possible to add Testcases to Groups.
    Here we receive a list of Testcases with there "doucmentKey" and the matching "name" of the Testcases.
    Now we are creating a new Cycle.
    Switching to the "Test Runs" view.
    Here we see a list full of Test Runs. Each Test Run have its own "doucmentKey" that is listed in the column "ID".
    We are adding the column "Test Case" to identify which TestCase was used to derive the TestRun.
    Here we come to our problem:
    It would be a great feature to see also the "documentKey" of the TestCase and not only the name of the TestCase in this view

Jama Version:
    Jama Connect 8.25.3

Greetings!

D
  • D
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi Chloe,

thank you for this suggested solution.
    But unfortunately this is no suitable way for us. This is caused by many different reasons e.g. "reusing" the testcase items. It would add more actions to do for the user until the testcase is completed (adapt DocumentKey in description). 

Therefore i would suggest to add this topic for you as new feature for useability.
    Also the column "ID" is miss leading. You dont see a "ID" you will see the name of the testcase.

Thanks! & Greetings!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2019
    Options
    D,

I will go ahead and change this whole post to a Product Idea post.

For clarification, ultimately you would also like the ability to have a field in the Test Run View which shows the coordinating Test Case ID in it?

If you could add to this Idea further: how would this added view help to inform your workflow? Someone from your team will look at this field and then do (this action)? Generally, what functionality would this help with? This would be helpful for our team.

Thanks,
  • D
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Chloe,

at first it would solve the problem of redundancy. The column "Test Case" and "Name" are show the same information.

If you want to cross-checking the order of the Test Cases in the Test Case View and the Test Run View, it would be easier to identify the Test Run with the matching Test Case and his corresponding ID.

Some other example:
    Sometimes you know this Test Case with this special ID is tricky (because nobody reminds the completely name of a Test Case). So i need to look at this special Test Case. But in the Test Run view you only have the Names. So you need to do a lot of extra "clicks" to got your detailed information. Switching to the Test Case view is necessary.

Some other special example:
    The communication with other testers, developers etc. is easier with a Test Case ID. The documentKey of a Test-Run is only temporarily useful - until some regression test or simliar happend. After that a new documentKey for another TestRun is created.

Thanks! & Greetings!
    D
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    Options
    D:

I appreciate you for taking the time to answer these questions. The Test Center is currently being looked at for future enhancement and these Community conversations are very valuable to give visibility around that effort.

Yes, the Test Case and Test Run relationship has been "tricky" due to the fact that the Test Run is not programmatically treated like a "Jama item" and is instead a part of the Status equation which is derived from the Test Case. We have talked about this on the Community a lot. It makes sense that due to this you would need to be able to quickly "cross check" to make sure you are where you need be. 

Best,
  • Lien Bäcker
    Lien Bäcker Member, Data Exchange, Jama Connect Interchange™ (JCI) Posts: 84
    edited November 2019
    Options
    This Feature would be also very useful for us. So +1 from us.
  • Sebastian Merz
    Sebastian Merz Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    this is exactly what a lot of my colleagues asked for - so +1 from us.