Searching with Wildcards

Options
Marcel Bachus
Marcel Bachus Member, Data Exchange Posts: 29
edited February 2018 in
Many of our users have asked me if it was possible to search/filter with Wildcards, as they find that it is not always possible to get to many records with CONTAINS.
Marcel Bachus

Innolux Technology Europe B.V

Comments

• Harald Hotz-Behofsits
    Harald Hotz-Behofsits Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2018
    Options
    In the field keywords you can enter fulltext search query content.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Senior Front-end Engineer Posts: 6
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi Marcel,

We do support wildcards and other search operators. I typically use the search box in the bar below the main navigation, but wildcards appear to work when constructing filters or doing an "Advanced Search," too.

• Use <em></em>? to perform a single character wildcard search. This would return results containing failure or fialure

f??lure

• Use * to perform a multiple character wildcard search. This would return results containing with, without, within and the term tests

with* tests

You can also use quotes to search for phrases, parentheses for grouping, and AND, OR, and NOT operators (they must be all caps, like that) to get more specificity. In the search box, you can also search in specific fields by prepending the name of the field and : to the search terms:

(America OR Europe) description:"needs input" AND NOT product_status:done

If you have field whose label is more than one word, use an underscore instead of a space to reference the field, like with Product Status above.

I hope this helps your users. There is some additional information on searching in the Help file, but this covers a majority of what's there.
  • Victor Cheung
    Victor Cheung Member, Data Exchange Posts: 90
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi Todd,

This is the kind of information I have been searching for but cannot find in any Jama help documentation at all.

Can these wildcards, quotes, AND OR NOT operators be used in a similar manner with the /abstractitems REST endpoint Contains field parameter to further refine the search results?

Thanks,

victor
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Victor,

Can these wildcards, quotes, AND OR NOT operators be used in a similar manner with the /abstractitems REST endpoint Contains field parameter to further refine the search results?

We have limited support for these on the endpoint. I spoke with one of our REST engineers and he said you can use double-quotes to include the boolean operators and wildcards. At this time, you cannot include phrases inside the double-quoted string, however (by escaping the quotes, for example).

This would find abstractitems with "apple" or "applesauce" in their text:

"apple*"

This would return the same abstractitem results as above, but not any that have juice or juicy in their text:

"apple* NOT juic?"
  • Victor Cheung
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for your help. 

In my tests, the wildcards do not seem to be working for the /abstractitems endpoint when I use them in the "contains" field in swagger.

For example, when I enter the following into the contains field:  "name:"video support""

contains_param1

I am getting results back with items having the words "video support" somewhere within the Name field.

However, when I experimented with the "*" and the "?" like in the following screenshots, I did not get any results back:
    contains_param2
    contains_param3
    Is my syntax correct?

Thanks,

victor
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Victor,

Your syntax was fine (and actually enlightening. I didn't consider trying a query with quotes within quotes. I does work, just not with wildcards.) At this time, we don't support the combination of quoted phrases + wildcards inside double-quoted search strings. It's not exactly the same query as a quoted phrase, but you might get similar (enough) results with something like:

"name:vid* AND name:support"

I'm filing a request to bring the api's query syntax into parity with the application's for phrases like this.

-t

------------------------------
    Todd Lemoine
    Senior Front-end Engineer
    Jama Software
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 03-01-2018 17:55
    Subject: Searching with Wildcards

Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for your help.

In my tests, the wildcards do not seem to be working for the /abstractitems endpoint when I use them in the "contains" field in swagger.

For example, when I enter the following into the contains field:  "name:"video support""

contains_param1

I am getting results back with items having the words "video support" somewhere within the Name field.

However, when I experimented with the "*" and the "?" like in the following screenshots, I did not get any results back:
    contains_param2
    contains_param3
    Is my syntax correct?

Thanks,

victor

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-26-2018 13:52

Victor,

We have limited support for these on the endpoint. I spoke with one of our REST engineers and he said you can use double-quotes to include the boolean operators and wildcards. At this time, you cannot include phrases inside the double-quoted string, however (by escaping the quotes, for example).

This would find abstractitems with "apple" or "applesauce" in their text:

"apple*"

This would return the same abstractitem results as above, but not any that have juice or juicy in their text:

"apple* NOT juic?"

Todd Lemoine
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-25-2018 12:37

Hi Todd,

This is the kind of information I have been searching for but cannot find in any Jama help documentation at all.

Thanks,

victor

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-23-2018 16:17

Hi Marcel,

We do support wildcards and other search operators. I typically use the search box in the bar below the main navigation, but wildcards appear to work when constructing filters or doing an "Advanced Search," too.

• Use <em></em>? to perform a single character wildcard search. This would return results containing failure or fialure

f??lure

• Use * to perform a multiple character wildcard search. This would return results containing with, without, within and the term tests

with* tests

You can also use quotes to search for phrases, parentheses for grouping, and AND, OR, and NOT operators (they must be all caps, like that) to get more specificity. In the search box, you can also search in specific fields by prepending the name of the field and : to the search terms:

(America OR Europe) description:"needs input" AND NOT product_status:done

If you have field whose label is more than one word, use an underscore instead of a space to reference the field, like with Product Status above.

I hope this helps your users. There is some additional information on searching in the Help file, but this covers a majority of what's there.

Todd Lemoine
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-21-2018 09:51

Many of our users have asked me if it was possible to search/filter with Wildcards, as they find that it is not always possible to get to many records with CONTAINS.

Marcel Bachus
    Innolux Europe B.V
  • Victor Cheung
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for your confirmation and help!  Regarding the usage/syntax of this field, I don't actually remember how I discovered putting the inner quotes but I've been doing a lot of trial and error on swagger to try and figure out the rules and behavior from the observed results.  I couldn't find any documentation on this anywhere.  So I actually contacted Jama support about it, however I'm still awaiting their reply at the moment.  It was a week or two later that I stumbled on to this thread.  :)

Thanks again, and I look forward to any change that will add functionality to this powerful "Contains" field in the /abstractitems endpoint!

Cheers,
    victor
  • Marcel Bachus
    Marcel Bachus Member, Data Exchange Posts: 29
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello Tod,

The wildcard search work well except when you start with a wildcard. Is there something not OK with the search then?

kind regards,

Marcel Bachus
    Marcel Bachus

Innolux Technology Europe B.V
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good to hear from you again, Marcel. I've replicated the issue your described on the /abstractitems endpoint and will file an issue for it. It should be allowed, as far as I can tell, but it's not. One workaround, depending on your needs, would be to surround the query in quotes. I hope this helps.

Doesn't work (returns 0 results):  contains: *pple
    Works (returns expected results): contains: "*pple"

Cheers,
    -t