Enhancement of Permission Dialog UI

Anna Henke
edited August 2020 in
Hi,

I find the new layout of the Permission Dialog UI quite difficult to capture, as the column titles and contents of the columns have different alignments and the columns are not visually separated:

Please put the contents of the columns also centered, this would highly increase readability.

Thank you,
Anna

Comments

• Chloe Elliott
    Chloe Elliott Product Team
    edited August 2020
    Hi Anna:

Thank you for bringing this up! We will take a look at this and see if we cannot work to make it more streamline. 

What other new things have you noticed?

Best,
  • Anna Henke
    edited September 2020
    Hi Chloe,

the fix adjustig the alignment is fairly simple:

.j-grid-table > tbody > tr > td 
    {
    text-align: center;
    }

If we stick with tables, I would highly recommend to adapt common usability guidelines. What I am missing in many tables in Jama are the following properties I expect from tables (also in the context of web):
    - Make all columns sortable (not just a few)
    - Make all columns resizable
    - Make all columns movable (ie. let the user dedice about the sequence of columns)
    - Add visual highlighting to selected rows / columns / cells in the table
    and many more.

There are so many awesome guidelines regarding usability around, like this one for tables for example: https://www.mobilespoon.net/2019/11/design-ui-tables-20-rules-guide.html
    I acknowledge that in the newer areas of Jama the usability is a lot better than in the areas of Jama that have been there for many years (like administration), but I wished that the system would be more consistent sometimes.

Regards
    Anna

------------------------------
    Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-31-2020 07:44
    Subject: Enhancement of Permission Dialog UI

Hi Anna:

Thank you for bringing this up! We will take a look at this and see if we cannot work to make it more streamline.

What other new things have you noticed?

Best,

Chloe Elliott
    Jama Software
    Portland OR

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-31-2020 01:09
    Subject: Enhancement of Permission Dialog UI

Hi,

I find the new layout of the Permission Dialog UI quite difficult to capture, as the column titles and contents of the columns have different alignments and the columns are not visually separated:

Please put the contents of the columns also centered, this would highly increase readability.

Thank you,
    Anna

Anna Henke
    MeVis BreastCare GmbH & Co. KG
  • Kevin Steigerwald
    edited September 2020
    Hi Anna -

Thank you for the feedback and recommendations.

As you mention, some newer areas of Jama are seeing usability improvements faster than other areas but know that the entire application is of importance to my team. We are attacking our design debt much like one would tackle large amounts of technical debt -- incremental improvements in high touch areas that are all tied to a big picture solution.

Currently, we have been focused on commenting streams and content header navigation (ie, consistency in buttons and actions for items across all modules of the application). Some of these efforts will be rolling out in the months ahead.

Table design and consistency is at the top of our design backlog (along with how we handle popups, notifications, toast messages -- to provide another example). I'll be sure that the comments you have above are captured in our approach and we can reach out for follow up discussion, if you are interested. We also have a team working on some admin features at the moment, so we'll relay this feedback to them as well.

And finally, I would encourage you (or anyone else reading) to join our research program. It's a great way for the design team to reach out to folks with specific topics like this as we continue refining our design system.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Steigerwald
    Director of Product Design
    Jama Software
  • Anna Henke
    edited September 2020
    Thank you Kevin for giving those insights on the roadmap!

Anna
  • Victoria Mahoney
    Victoria Mahoney System and Business Analyst Manager
    edited September 2020
    Will the UI enhancement include the following?
    When in the Test Plan / Test Cases view the Test cases ID do not display in full. This makes it very difficult to see the order of our test Cases. Jama does not allow us to expand or sort the Test case ID column, we cannot change the layout of that view and when we hover over the ID, it does not display any labels.

• Kevin Steigerwald
    edited September 2020
    Hi Victoria -- yes, our design approach aims to be comprehensive across for certain features, which includes column resizing.
    Kevin Steigerwald
    Director of Product Design
    Jama Software