Reuse and Sync for filtered structures

Christopher Nadler
edited October 2018 in

Reuse and Sync for filtered structures

I think filters are one of the most important features in a RM-tool. I also find the Reuse-And Sync feature as an essential one, since requirements are distributed and reused in many manners along product development. Lately, I tried to use both feature combined, sadly with disappointment, since I wanted to reuse a filtered structure. Here my procedure:

1. Applying a filter
  2. Select all filtered elements
  3. Action menu -> reuse
  4. Result: "You can only chose items of the same item type for reuse".

I was disappointed because my filtered items are in fact of the same item type, if you consider that folders and texts (TXT) are essential elements and can "live" in any SET of items. Therefore, it would be very nice, if the reuse feature could consider an exception for folders and text items.

Independently of the folder and texts topic, I do not see the reason, why should I not be able to reuse any (filtered) structure with different item times. However, I can imagine that implementing this feature in Jama could bring many hours of work.

I also thought of a work around for my problem:

1. Reuse the whole structure
  2. Apply the "negation" of my original filter (filter all unwanted elements)
  3. Delete the unwanted elements

This workflow is not as elegant as the first one would be, but should work.

Nevertheless, I think the possibility to reuse a filtered structure can have other advantages that I am not aware. Therefore, I wanted to express here my feature request and see what the resonance on this topic is.

I am looking forward to the feedback of other Jama users and team members.

Kind regards,